Cisco C240-M3 drives AND tray/caddies - Help my storage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
No worries, I've spoke my peace on recommended drives, those are all I use, no experience w/ Samsung SSD's thus far but a few have tempted me, I forget models when there were some insane deals that hit on them (480 or 960 GB models, hell I forget, it dried up).

GL on testing.

EDIT: On the 319TB on a S3700 topic, ask for a Intel ssd toolkit screenshot of the drives health (bet it's 95-98% life remaining maybe higher), that's always a good place to start but no 319TB does not alarm me for that type of HET nand but you can often find lower usage devices.

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
You guys are just so so great. Thank you for going out of your way, holding my hand and being super patient with a neophyte homelabber. It's hard to determine the proper path when I'm unsure of the potential options.

The intent is to: continue booting ESXi from internal USB. SSDs (x2) in RAID1 array for VMs, then the 600GB Seagate (x3) Savvio 10K.5 SAS drives for less important local storage.

Would love to eventually learn about storage tiers, but those are longer term plans. Have a few (x3) new 8TB WD Reds I'd been purchasing each time a $179 sale hit for other media storage, so hoping the aforementioned is plenty to get going... But so much to learn. Thank you, immensely for helping to nudge that process along, ever so slightly. Hardware compatibility has been elusive.

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
Refused 275 offer, but accepted a pair at 295. Checked my controller's documentation and it had 12Gbps Samsung 1635 SAS disk on the list, but not these. Will keep researching them, thanks!!

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I wouldn't worry about it, they are gonna work. What are you intentions for storage platform? I don't have much HW RAID experience, that being said if you did intend to do a single node vSphere setup w/ a ZFS-ish all-in-one storage appliance/VM the requirement is for a HBA not a raid ctrl. If you wanna just use the HW ctrl for a raid1 config nothing bad w/ starting there as well but for a ZFS based shared storage AIO config where you will present out ZFS datasets via iSCSI/NFS back to your hypervisor you really want the HBA LSI 2008 for 6GBPS LSI 3008 for 12Gbps.

If this is not your plans/goals then my apologies, think we picked up bits and pieces of a build thread here on what originated as looking for caddies/memory so we had better put the squash on this one here and open a new thread in the 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' sub-forum.

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
Thanks for the continued guidance, shared expertise and advice / pro-tips. Have been meaning to compose a storage oriented post in the proper location.

EDIT: Ended up paying a bit of a premium to just get a couple (2) trays for when those terrific SSDs you recommended arrive.