Cisco branded 10gbe BCM57712 firmware update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oliv75

Feb 24, 2020
Hi.

Has anybody managed to flash/update it using the qlogic/broadcom oem firmware?

This thing is a pain to deal with. Since its cisco branded, only the Cisco host update utility can update it, which means you actually need a cisco server.

The qlogic drivers (Cavium, Inc. version 7.13.155.0) for bcm57712 do work fine (the default windows 10 one was randomly BSDOing the system), but the firmware updater (winfwnx2.exe from Windows_FwUpg_34xx_84xx_2.10.82.zip) just says the card is not supported and stops.

thx.

this is the card:
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/p...-interface-card-1225/bcrm_1cs57712_pb00_r.pdf

Last edited:

oddball

May 18, 2018
What's the Cisco part, is it a VIC 1225?

Can you use the Cisco Drivers? I know in Windows this is picked up without an issue, same with Linux, both "know" the card by default. The issue is you won't be able to change any default settings on it.

By default these are set to trunk mode with reasonable defaults, so you should be ok. We can push 20Gbe through on iPerf3 with default settings out of the box.

You need the c-series drivers and utilities package from Cisco, it's a big ISO.

There is no reason the Cisco drivers and utilities wouldn't work in a non-cisco box.

oliv75

Feb 24, 2020
Its not a vic 1225. The one I have uses the firmware-bnx2x non-free debian package for broadcom adapters.
Im not sure about the part #. I dont know about the cisco drivers but the qlogic ones are up to date and work well.

The card was running an old firmware (6.4.17 i belleve) and used to have weird problems, like not being detected after a soft reboot, but working perfectly fine after a cold start.

Since this type of adapter seems to have been provided on several other brands of servers like dell or lenovo, I was actually able to partially upgrade the firmware to 7.10 ish (7.15.36 being the latest available on the qlogic site) by extracting the lenovo firmware updater files (filename brcm_fw_nic_2.4.2a_windows_32-64.exe°), opening the xml file that instructs the updater and flash all the files to their corresponding parts in the card's flash layout using winfwnx2.exe.
It runs ok now and the soft reboot issue is now gone, but I would just rather load a complete mbi formatted monolithic firmware like the latest qlogic updater (Windows_FwUpg_34xx_84xx_2.10.82.zip) apparently does but refuses to do on rebranded cards .

Last edited: