Cisco 3560CX and PBR - Changing the IOS from IPBase to IPServices

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

netraider

Feb 14, 2019
Hi guys.

I need a small (preferably silent) switch for my home lab with a support for hardware Policy-Based-Routing(PBR). Used Cisco 3560CX fits me, but I do not quite understand the licensing policy.

By default 3560CX ships with "Universal image, IP Base and IP Services images" (c3560cx-universalk9-mz.152-7.E.bin). For PBR I need to activate IP services license.

Question 1: Can I use different image for "IP services" without license for 3560CX?

Question 2: I found a seller on ebay and he showed me information about the router(with installed/enabled IP services license):
Code:
Switch#sh license
Index 1 Feature: ipservices
        Period left: Life time
        License Type: PermanentRightToUse
        License State: Active, In Use
        License Priority: High
        License Count: Non-Counted

Index 2 Feature: ipbase
        Period left: 0  minute  0  second

Switch#sh license fe
Feature name             Enforcement  Evaluation  Clear Allowed  Enabled RightToUse
ipservices               yes          yes         yes            yes     yes
ipbase                   no           no          yes            no      no
I dont understand why "Period left: Life time" but ipservices feature marked as "Evaluation". Its normal?

arnbju

Mar 13, 2013
A Cisco a Right To Use license is not enforced, if it shows evaluation no actual license has been installed/activated but the features still work.
A Right to Use license scheme is an honor-based model for licensing. Licenses are not tied to an unique device identifier (UDI), product ID, or serial number.

netraider

Feb 14, 2019
Thanks, but it still not clear to me how it possible - I can buy any 3560x and then switch to "IPServices" without real license, because default image contain IPBase + IPServices? How this is possible? IPServices RTU evaluation license will expire 90 days after activation.

A ebay person from the screenshot has the default firmware. There is no way to get permanent IPServices functionality without real license, or am I wrong?

alsenior

Member Member
Apr 19, 2016
Modern IOS images are called Universal. They have all the features but they are limited based on the active license

RTU licensing allows you to enable the licence before you have the actual licence to hand. It never actually checks or disabled as its honor based.

In a commercial environment you are required to have one and TAC won't support a device with it enabled if you don't have a valid licence. In you home though it makes no difference.