chune's house build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
@chune which version of Windows and AMD drivers are you using with the R7 240? I'm trying the R7 240 as well and I'm running into blue screens and general non working. I'm getting the exact same non working behavior with a 7870 as well, which works perfectly passed through to an El Capitan VM in the same host. With a Windows 10 VM however, it blue screens if a monitor is connected, and won't even boot up after the Catalyst drivers are installed (just a black screen on the card and the VM console)

chune

Oct 28, 2013
@chune which version of Windows and AMD drivers are you using with the R7 240? I'm trying the R7 240 as well and I'm running into blue screens and general non working. I'm getting the exact same non working behavior with a 7870 as well, which works perfectly passed through to an El Capitan VM in the same host. With a Windows 10 VM however, it blue screens if a monitor is connected, and won't even boot up after the Catalyst drivers are installed (just a black screen on the card and the VM console)
for awhile i was having issues with the ATI driver windows update pushed out. i think it was right when they switched to the "crimson" driver or whatever. Try the latest v14 driver from 2014 and work your way up. Have you ruled out bad RAM or GPU? I've spent countless hours troubleshooting a bad ECC stick that wasn't throwing ECC errors but still turned out to be garbage

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
No dice with the 2014/2015 drivers, I'm hoping when the E5-2670 package comes next week, it will work since it'll be completely different hardware (and what I wanted it to run on anyway).

Is there any reason why you're on older versions of things though? (ESXi 5.5, Mac OS X Mavericks, Win 8.1)

chune

Oct 28, 2013
No dice with the 2014/2015 drivers, I'm hoping when the E5-2670 package comes next week, it will work since it'll be completely different hardware (and what I wanted it to run on anyway).

Is there any reason why you're on older versions of things though? (ESXi 5.5, Mac OS X Mavericks, Win 8.1)
Apparently I was following the old Donk Unlocker thread and nobody bothered to mention that esx 6.0 support came out like a year ago... So I have some upgrades to try out! I had tried elcapo on esx 5.5 but you get that annoying error about it being unstable with more than one core.

chune

Oct 28, 2013
And I hated Windows 10 until they fixed split tunnel VPN and I found the registry patch to bring back 8.1 networking menu. (I have like 30 VPN connections I use all the time)

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Ah got it, they at least fixed the unstable error running El Capitan on 6.0 as I don't see it running 4 cores. I would be curious to see if your 7750 works on El Capitan (or even Yosemite). I've been trying to see which GPUs work in Hackintoshes (since that seems like it would be the most comparable), and according to this, the 7750 has an issue (that could potentially be fixed by editing a kext) after 10.10.3: Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
Wait... are you guys doing OSX in a VM?!? I would LOVE that!
I think Apple enabled OSX on ESXI/WMworkstation back around version 5.0 of ESXI. But only on Apple Hardware, but someone figured out how to disable the check for Apple HW, and made a nice small patch for it.

At work we used it to test with OSX (using original Apple DVD's bought on their Website).