Chrome OS discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Due to the FS thread for Google 2013 chromebook i wanted to try it out before buying it. So I started looking into running the OS in VM. and here are my finding so far.

i been playing with chrome os (well technically chromium ) in virtualbox. So far not really impressed. I tried netflix website but had video issues. Amazon prime and crunchyroll (yes anime) did work. I tried remote access to my WS2012R2 and was able to access and download files from my server, i wasnt able run RDC to my desktops. I tried a chrome app for RDC and it worked but was pretty limited, plus it costs 9.99.

So i started messing with putting linux on it.
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

Anyone else have experience with the OS? I want to get the GOOGLE CHROMEBOOK PIXEL from the FS thread but not sure the OS will cut it for my needs.

Needs.
1. Ultra light portable - weights 3.3 lbs so should be ok for traveling
2. RDC to access VM at home/work location.
3. Watch videos when bored.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
I've used a Chromebook as my backup for about two years. I haven't found a useful way to do RDC. It has an app that allows you to go to a remote desktop via Chrome but I didn't find it useful for my RDC purposes.

I've never had a problem with streaming videos.

It has fantastic battery life and, if you are vested in the Google cloud tools, it's a great machine for working.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it as a PC replacement if you need RDC or to work in Windows. If you are working in shell and doing remote server management over IPMI it's a great machine for the price.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i was looking for a unit to bring around with me when i dont want to bring the large laptop i use as my daily pc. thinking vacations or when im on call and dont want to be limited to a 30 min window to get to a pc.

Side note, im got linux running on the vm. I had to do ubuntu release trusty to get going. I'm still messing with it. Trying to see if i can get virtualbox to run on ubuntu to run a slim windows os with RDC :)

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I have a couple chromebooks that I use strictly as web browsing devices. Right now I would be waiting. With the arrival of google play store ChromeOS really should have a touch screen and a way for the screen to fold into a tablet mode. This will also open up the android ecosystem which should help with the RDP issue if you can't find a good chrome app. You could also use googles version of remote desktop that uses chrome.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I have purchased a Chromebox and like it so far since I use it mainly to surf the web. But I was wondering if anyone has experience with using google Docs and saving the document on a USB flash drive? Is it even possible? It seems from what I have read online that you can open documents off of a USB flash drive but haven seen much on saving a Doc on the USB flash drive.