Choosing RAM for an Airtop3: would faster modules with higher voltage work?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

andralex

Jul 30, 2020
Hello, first poster here. I hope I chose the right (sub)forum.

I ordered an Airtop3, specs here: Airtop3 specifications. Still need to find RAM for it (need 128 GB) and I got lost in the parameters and acronyms and whatnot. The manufacturer helpfully sent me a list of RAM brands they tested:

They did mention anything DDR4-2666 unbuffered should in principle work. But does faster memory work? I found this:

It's DDR4-3600 unbuffered instead of the required DDR4-2666 unbuffered. Would faster modules work in lieu of slower modules?

Also, the voltage on that Corsair memory is 1.35V whereas all memory they tested with seems to be 1.2V. Is that a problem?

Thanks in advance!

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Why not just get 2666mhz RAM? Faster RAM does work (with no benefit if you're not overclocking and I doubt you would be), but 1.35V is likely to cause issues (aimed at overclocking again). You also have the issue of that RAM being taller than normal and potentially not fitting.

4 of these would be save you $300: Team Elite 32GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model TED432G3200C2201 - Newegg.com

If you really want name brand, 2 of these would still save you a couple hundred: Crucial 64GB Kit (32GBx2) DDR4 2666 MT/s CL19 DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT2K32G4DFD8266 - Newegg.com

Reactions: andralex

andralex

Jul 30, 2020
Thanks for answering! Just making sure what options I have.

Also thank you for the links to better deals. I noticed non-ECC is quite a bit less expensive than ECC. Should I prefer ECC? Is the frequency of memory errors considerable enough to pay a couple hundreds more?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
What CPU will you be using? Need a Xeon for ECC. 32GB ECC UDIMMs are indeed close to double the price. Likely not critically important for a workstation.

andralex

Jul 30, 2020
@BlueFox oh. I had no idea. I got the i9, which settles it. I think I'll go with the Team Elite RAM that you mentioned, found it for $90 on Amazon. Thanks very much!

andralex

Jul 30, 2020
I just got word from the Airtop manufacturer:

Sorry, but our memory specifications came from CPU possibilities. CPU that used in Airtop3 does not support any other kind of memory, except of DDR4-2666 ECC| Non-ECC (unbuffered)
Please visit the official Intel site:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor (16M Cache, up to 5.00 GHz) Product Specifications
Intel® Xeon® E-2288G Processor (16M Cache, 3.70 GHz) Product Specifications

So, I'm afraid your choice will not work.
Another important thing - warranty. If the module causes device damage - you can loose the warranty.
So I guess I need to buy exactly what they require.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
That's an expected response from an OEM since they want you to buy RAM from them at a markup. Higher speed RAM is fine, though you a free to buy 2666mhz memory (probably a bit cheaper actually) off Amazon/Newegg/etc. The CPU is what sets the compatibility, not the OEM.

As for the warranty, they'd have a hard time proving anything. Can always pull your RAM should you need to send the unit in for warranty.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I would be very surprised if you could overclock memory on an OEM board with a C246 chipset. Just buy the cheapest DDR4-2666 UDIMM at 1.2V you can find from a well-known brand like Samsung, Crucial and the likes. It's fine if you find faster memory (still better if it only requires 1.2V for the rated frequency) for cheaper, but it will just run at DDR4-2666 max when used in this kind of PC. And having a look at the form factor of that thing, I would not recommend any memory modules with a heatspreader.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I'm like 99% certain these won't fit. The case is pretty crammed, i don't see any additional clearance for heatspreaders

andralex

Jul 30, 2020
Hi again everyone, I've put the system together (ended up buying this memory: Patriot Signature Line 32GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model PSD432G26662 - Newegg.com).

The Ubuntu 20 installer had difficulty getting into graphics mode (4k monitor). I ran it in safe graphics mode. At the end of the installation I've experienced a number of odd crashes. The installer pointed me to a bug that had already been submitted: if you choose "install proprietary drivers" the installer crashes at the end. After a few backs and forths I got Ubuntu running and with the correct nvidia drivers.

And then... my heart sank. After coming back from sleep mode, the computer works normally for a few minutes, then it just reboots. No warning no nothing. When coming back after the reboot, the operating system gives no information about some error, so to it it's like the machine power cycled.

I'm not sure whether this instability is only after a sleep/wake up, but so far the computer has never rebooted after a normal boot. Seems like a sleep-related problem.

I tested the memory with Linux's [memtester](https://linux.die.net/man/8/memtester) program (which has been running for a few hours by now) and it seems to work fine.

Any ideas on how to better diagnose and fix this would be very appreciated. Thanks!