Choosing of HBA cards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sonicz

May 21, 2013
Hi all

Since my new supermicro SC846 isn't really build for cards with ports in the front of the Card, Im looking for sugesstions

Currently I have a M1015 and a 2108, but both is with the connectors in front. The cable length of the sff-8087 is a bit short for that. The cables I need is really exspensive and a pain to change.

So looking for some other options.
The 2108 I got is with 512mb cache and BBU. But I guess I can't get any fun out of that using the Card as a HBA, right?

But I need 3 Cards with 2 sff-8087 ports on the "back" of the Card.

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Look for LSI 9200-8i/9201have-8i/9211-8i cards on eBay. They have theare connectors on the end. They usually available at good prices.

Aliv Cherevko

Jul 3, 2015
The 2108 I got is with 512mb cache and BBU. But I guess I can't get any fun out of that using the Card as a HBA, right?
Guys from here: ZFS Raidz Performance, Capacity and Integrity Comparison @ Calomel.org
did a setup for each disk as a separate RAID0 array in the LSI raid controller.
Scroll to read section: "How do you get ZFS to work through the LSI MegaRAID controller ?"

I'm still guessing what is the best way to go: simple SAS2008 controller (lie 9211-8i) or a hardware RAID with cache and BBU and each disk is a RAID0 array.

Will be appreciated for recommendations.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Guys from here: ZFS Raidz Performance, Capacity and Integrity Comparison @ Calomel.org
did a setup for each disk as a separate RAID0 array in the LSI raid controller.
Scroll to read section: "How do you get ZFS to work through the LSI MegaRAID controller ?"

I'm still guessing what is the best way to go: simple SAS2008 controller (lie 9211-8i) or a hardware RAID with cache and BBU and each disk is a RAID0 array.

I don't think that one is too relevant to what the OP is trying to do.

@PigLover has the right idea.

If you're using those types of cards, you're still sff-8087 connector. You can Amazon/ Monoprice decent price cables for under $20/ ea and resell your old ones. Here's an example search.

sonicz

May 21, 2013
I am thinking of making a new sw raid of some kind. Have been reading up on ZFS and it seems amazing, except the fact I cant grow the raid with a disk at a time.
So is looking for some other way to go. Earlier I used mdadm with xfs filesystem. But I'm not doing that againg. Just tried using xpenology, but now sure I'm gonna stick with that.

So any suggestions on that account?

sonicz

May 21, 2013

Not sure what you mean, making a "raid array" with only one disk in each and then passthrough it and make sw raid on it?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
... or a hardware RAID with cache and BBU and each disk is a RAID0 array.
In most cases this is a particularly bad idea for ZFS. Even for a "single drive Raid0" the raid processor introduces a small amount of latency, which is bad.

The really bad part is that you lose one of the best features of ZFS: array portability. The Raid headers written to each drive are proprietary to the particular raid card family you use - this make the drives unreadable by a "normal" HBA or another raid card family, which completely breaks the idea of portable export/import of your arrays.

Reactions: neo

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
As I need to be able to grow my array, ZFS is not an option im afraid.

Seems like a decent price if it really is a LSI card :)

New LSI Internal SAS SATA 9211-8i 6Gbps 8 Ports HBA PCI-E RAID Controller Card | eBay
ZFS arrays can grow by adding vdev's.
For instance, start with a two-way mirror:
zpool create pool mirror /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

Then later add another pair of disks.
zpool add pool mirror /dev/sdd /dev/sde

Easy. You can add disks and controllers as necessary.

Also, I would try to find that card (or one very similar to it) for half that price.
If maximum throughput isn't you goal, you can buy one HBA and a SAS expander card.
This may be more cost effective than buying three HBAs.

Thanks