Chkdsk on MegaRAID RAID1

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
This is probably a silly question, but is it safe to run chkdsk on an NTFS partition on a MegaRAID RAID1 drive? My drive health is fine but I may have some filesystem-level issues and wanted to check. In case it matters, the system is running Windows 7.

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
I'd say it does not make much sense. chkdsk works with low-level disk access, but on raid-array there are not true "sectors" it could check. Besides, chkdsk is not the right tool to check raid-array health status...

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I'd say it does not make much sense. chkdsk works with low-level disk access, but on raid-array there are not true "sectors" it could check. Besides, chkdsk is not the right tool to check raid-array health status...
"Modern" chkdsk (at least the last decade or so) only does the full-surface read test if requested on the command line. Otherwise it just checks (and optionally fixes) the logical structure (directories, etc.). In that respect it is similar to Unix's fsck.