Chinese Dual LGA 2011 Boards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Anyone ever try one of the cheap Chinese Dual LGA 2011 boards? Specifically, this one. I know I won't have IPMI, but I'm hoping that otherwise they are decent.

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
These are surprisingly good, QA is excellent I never heard anyone get it DOA or have stability problems. However I can't say how they work under server workload - 24/7. I doubt they are same quality as real servers are. No IPMI indeed. This one has it and more memory for twice the price sadly.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I'm probably going to get an Inventec B800GF0. Planning on getting a switch with 10G at some point in the future so it will work.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I saw a lot of stuff about some of the dual cpu ones having issues with memory although i've yet to try one myself, I'd be interested in some of the chinese 1356 boards but those seem harder to find

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I'm probably going to get an Inventec B800GF0. Planning on getting a switch with 10G at some point in the future so it will work.
I have a B800GC0 and have been very pleased with it. No issues at all. (2 x E5-2630, 4 x 32GB Hynix DDR3L-10600R). I've used both cheap SFP+ transceivers (AOI A7EL-SN85-ADMA) and SFP+ to Gigabit RJ45 (10GTek ASF-GE-T) successfully in the 10G SFP+ ports.

Neil Jefferies

Jun 28, 2019
UK
neilstechdocs.blogspot.com
Spun up the Huananzhi X79-8D and it's looking good. Got a pair of E5-2643's and 4x8GB Reg ECC DDR3 DIMMS. Found out you have to populate the black DIMM slots first or it doesn't start up. PWM profiles for the CPU fans are fine tunable in the BIOS but the case fan connectors are 3-pins with no variability so you need a fan controller or something similar to keep noise under control. Suspend to RAM appears to work fine with Windows (not tried Linux yet - the HDD I dropped in happened to have a functioning Windows install). This one is dual channel on each CPU - there is a Quad channel version just released, after I bought this one of course! Default is NUMA off for some reason - which means performance is up to 10% down when tasks are mismatched between core and memory node as far as I can tell. All in all looking very nice - having M.2 and USB 3 on board is very nice.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Spun up the Huananzhi X79-8D and it's looking good. Got a pair of E5-2643's and 4x8GB Reg ECC DDR3 DIMMS. Found out you have to populate the black DIMM slots first or it doesn't start up. PWM profiles for the CPU fans are fine tunable in the BIOS but the case fan connectors are 3-pins with no variability so you need a fan controller or something similar to keep noise under control. Suspend to RAM appears to work fine with Windows (not tried Linux yet - the HDD I dropped in happened to have a functioning Windows install). This one is dual channel on each CPU - there is a Quad channel version just released, after I bought this one of course! Default is NUMA off for some reason - which means performance is up to 10% down when tasks are mismatched between core and memory node as far as I can tell. All in all looking very nice - having M.2 and USB 3 on board is very nice.
Numa off was at least the suggested setting for the last LGA1366 xeons(or at least the bios of my dell t7500) and may have carried past that, not all software was numa aware and it's only recently(past amd ryzen) that a lot of consumer stuff has seen any adjustments to understand numa on any level(it's worth testing any "critical" software both ways to see if there's a benefit)

Sidenote, what's the quad channel variant called? I've got some 2670's collecting dust and am planning a build to replace my t7500 sometime next spring.

Neil Jefferies

Jun 28, 2019
UK
neilstechdocs.blogspot.com
Lordy, I've been using Opterons with NUMA since 2003 (admittedly almost always running Linux) and LGA1366 went out in 2012...is the Windows software ecosystem really just that slow (or is it just a duff scheduler)?

For boards, there's the Jingsha X79 S8 (which is smaller) and the Huananzhi x79Dual 16D which is full EATX. You can find both an Aliexpress - mine took 15 days to arrive in the UK.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Lordy, I've been using Opterons with NUMA since 2003 (admittedly almost always running Linux) and LGA1366 went out in 2012...is the Windows software ecosystem really just that slow (or is it just a duff scheduler)?

For boards, there's the Jingsha X79 S8 (which is smaller) and the Huananzhi x79Dual 16D which is full EATX. You can find both an Aliexpress - mine took 15 days to arrive in the UK.
I'd wager that it's less "behind" and more a "different focus" if you're runing a numa aware application on windows it's fine but with how much of windows software is consumer focused and could barely grasp multi core until a few years as well(look at games), it might be a different application thing as well, my desktop would have shipped with windows vista(or 7 but I think I got a vista sticker)pro not windows server, I suppose I should check one of my server bios next time it restarts(also up until LGA1366(5500 series xeons in 2009) intel chips were still SMP since they didn't have an IMC but used a single central northbridge(something amd moved away from in 2003) market share and the lack of numa requirements at all until 2009 on the intel side likely made scheduler and changes there an afterthought outside of the windows server team(and even not a high pressure one there) until at least 2009(and even then probably not till win7 sp1 and server 2008 R2 for the earliest adjustments)