Chess Benches

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ipmanchess

Aug 21, 2017
There must be a easier way to get these Chess Benches from all these great reviews!

It's useless to always disturb Patrick and begging for these logs or get the real nodes/sec. numbers..

It helps and gives the computer chess world a lot information how fast these new systems are, like now
the new 2x AMD EPYC Genoa 96c/192t = 384threads who show more then 600Million node/sec. is just amazing!!

But for use means these charts not so much..it's just guessing ,you see it above 600Mnodes/sec. but by how many ,while real number makes it clear.
Other websites use real numbers where they use these Chess benches.

Would like to get also result from: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5995WX

People who are interested to run a Chess Bench you can check my website ,download the engine that your system can handle (No install needed) and run the bench as noted on the website. Ipman Chess

Any bench is welcome!

A example screen with a AMD Ryzen 9 7950X here under what you will get:

snaphsot0003.jpg
And this last number in screen: Nodes/second is what i use in my lists and gives the ranking how fast your system is.

Enjoy benching.. it takes a minute depending how fast your system is..hope more people will try it out and you can just drop a screen like above here or copy
the log from your bench and paste it here..Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Ipman.

ipmanchess

Aug 21, 2017
Already 80 views and no bench yet.. comon guys.. it's like Cinebench or other bench tools you using to check how fast your system is ..difference it's a full working Chess engine.. Stockfish is the number 1 in the world ,the version i use handle 512threads ..last version is already set to 1024threads ,there is No Limit in cores/threads! (okay you need a GUI that shows you a chessboard with all informations) but here i just use it as a bench..

I also use Chess when i overclock my system for example.. when most get use too to use stress tools like Prime95 ,OCCT,..to see if your system is stable. But i have seen when system is Prime/OCCT stable it doesn't mean it's chess stable.. So i want my system is rock stable with my daily application i use!

Chess bench list helps us also to choose what next system we will buy or build as it gives a nice prise/chess performance when you are not sure
for which system you want to go! Like now people talking about Intel Core i9 13900K vs AMD Ryzen 9 7950X ,well they are looking to see these benches ,seeing they are about equal in speed ,then they can check which one gives best prices..and so on..or some say i wait till i see 50% gain
or dubble speed in nodes/sec. before i buy a new system..you get a very nice compare from all these systems..
So it's usefull for all kind off reasons!

Just give it a try..looking forward to see some nice nodes/sec.

Kind regards,
Ipman.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
put it on github or another platform for hosting binaries, make the source available
everything else looks fishy to me

Reactions: virtuguy

ipmanchess

Aug 21, 2017
The source is avaiable here: GitHub - official-stockfish/Stockfish: UCI chess engine ,but then people will use wrong version for this list!
the one on my website i have compiled myself as it has to be same version else No compare! Or i can link to the source from Stockfish 14.1 ,but is
easy to find when you use Github before..
How it can looks fishy when so many people already run these benches and even Patrick in his reviews use a chess bench i have proposed!
It is with asmFish ,but same thing..in all these years i have used many engines.. 42years into computer chess ..have no time to play around like
some do with spamming,virus,or even be fishy? I'm retired ,it's a long time hobby and i'm well known in the chess engines world as i test them all !
Maintaining all these years rating lists from all best engines in the world.

ipmanchess

Aug 21, 2017
Passing 150+ views ,and no single try yet here..

Today i got a other nice bench with asmFish on a AMD Ryzen 7950X: and it looks like this:

AMD 7950X Lemon asmFish bench.png
And then i update my list with his result: Ipman Chess

It's simple like that..how many software you know that will use all cores/threads your system have..for chess it's endless atm till it get solved one day!

Ipman.

ipmanchess

Aug 21, 2017
Or what you think from this bench: 10min. ago:
2x AMD EPYC 7V12 with 256threads!

2x AMD EPYC 7V12 256threads.png

More like systems you guys are using ;) what your system will gives..

ipmanchess

Aug 21, 2017
Today i get a early New Year gift ;)

a bench with Stockfish 14.1 Cluster version using 131.072threads!!

Check these nodes/sec. in my list : Ipman Chess

Just amazing..

Got also first time a bench from a AWS Graviton3 / arm64 64threads system!

Who will be the first here..

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i got 2 epyc systems, both dual socket.

epyc 7551
epyc 7442 (or 7742) ? <<===this one i dont remember.

i will run your bench. i am in EU. so in 24h you will get my results.

i also have threadripper 1950x system. interessted in this?

EDIT: which file do i need to download for bench in windows 10? and do i need stockfish installed to run your bench?

Reactions: ipmanchess

ipmanchess

Aug 21, 2017
Thanks for your interest!

Any bench from any system is welcome.. for getting your info from your system you can use CPU-Z for example.(see picture above)

There is No Install needed ..you just download one or more binary's. extract the file in a folder or drop it it on your desktop ,dubble click it and it
opens in console (you get a little black window) then type: bench 1024 36 26 default depth nnue (Enter)
Important: The number 36 = cores/threads your system have.
So if you have 128threads ,then you type: bench 1024 128 26 default depth nnue (Enter)
Have your system 8cores ,then type: bench 1024 8 26 default depth nnue (Enter)
Then you will see all scrolling lines and let it run till it stops and get in the end Total time ,Nodes/second as in screens above.. takes around 1min.
depends how fast the system is. Copy the log or make screen like first picture and drop it here.

Which file to download:
Well you can download them all for Windows if you want and run them all.
I have compiled Stockfish with different extensions , pop ,avx2 ,avx512 ,vnni256 ,vnni512.
The reason is each generation cpu's are adding newer extensions and gives higher speed in chess.
So if you have a older cpu then for example avx512 version and above will not run ,gives error or just close directly
then you know i have to take pop version. If your cpu handle vnni512 ,then you know they will all run on my system!
And ofcourse there are differences between AMD & Intel cpu's in having these extensions.. so you have to find out which version works
and use the highest extension for best speed! When you check my lists ,you can see which version people have used.
Some off them just run them all ,it gives a nice compare with all these systems in the list.. the more i get the better the list will be..

After your benches are done.. you can just delete the files ,nothing stay behind on your computer ,or keep it for later benches when tuning system,
or if you want to play a game against Stockfish or asmFish (then a GUI is needed ,that show you a chessboard)

The bench line above is only for Stockfish engine ..it's all written on the website ..and all people that tried did have no problems by follow it ;)

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Xeon 3245M (16cores/32Threads). Just wondering why the bench does not utilize the full max all core frequency. Was always down 10-15% in clock speed.

Screenshot_2022-12-16_17-42-02.png

Last edited:

ipmanchess

Aug 21, 2017
Thank you very much for the first bench here!

The cpu indeed doesn't stay at 100% as it runs 47 chess positions after each other.
If you want to see All cores/threads runs @100% you can run the other bench with asmFish you find here on my website: Ipman Chess
And can include your system also there!

Hope this will give other people more trust in these benches that already many have done on other forums..

Again thanks for running it..
Ipman.

List updated with your result..

Last edited: