Chenbro SR 107

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Anyone have one or ever built one? I looked into it a while ago then just recently and availability seems hit or miss. I own two rack mount chenbros and feel they are built well.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
I had one of these for a few years that I bought around 2005; I sold it in 2008 or so. Mine didn't have hotswap bays and used a standard ATX power supply. I always thought it was well-built. IIRC, this was the first chassis I ever purchased to use as a dedicated storage server before spoiling myself with hotswap rackmount chassis. However, I had a couple intermediate attempts at pedestal-style storage servers after the SR107 before moving to hotswap. My biggest complaint was the noise from the stock fans. Keep in mind, this was several years ago when there were fewer high-quality low-noise fans and hard drives generally ran hotter than they do these days.

Since moving to hotswap, I haven't looked at large standalone chassis like the SR107 at all, so I have no clue how it compares to other offerings these days.

michaeld

Oct 10, 2012
I own one; it's a much older version of what they sell now, as I bought mine in 2004. Judging by the pics on their website, it hasn't really changed much. It is built like a tank; all steel. It is not the most mod-friendly or user-friendly case out there. The drive cage/fan area is pretty large, but not well laid out, IMO. See pic below.

The fans that come with the case are data-center grade hovercraft type fans; you will need to replace them if you're even thinking about using this as a pedestal server under your desk. The nice thing about it is that it's very flexbile. Bought new, it can be purchased in many different configurations; backplane/hot swap cages/ATX PS/redundant PS, but it is essentially an "old style case". Note the full-length card support brackets and screw on snap-type drive rails. I do, however, like the fact that it has a 120mm rear/exhaust fan. That makes your silencing the case job MUCH easier. The typical 4U consumer type case comes with two 80mm fans. By the time you actually find quiet 80mm fans, you also find they don't move much air at all.

If it wouldn't cost more to ship than it's worth, I'd offer to sell you mine as I'm not using it and probably never will since I already have 3 other rack mount case and an old Antec P80 for if I ever do an under-the-desk system again. I bought the base case. No backplane, no hot swap cages and I think I already Dremeled out the front grill in the drive cage...and IIRC, all my fans are dead. I did get my usage out of it. LOL!

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Anyone have one or ever built one? I looked into it a while ago then just recently and availability seems hit or miss. I own two rack mount chenbros and feel they are built well.
I think we need farm pics (although yours sounds like it needs a time lapse video)

Chenbro in the US is often hard to get :-/