Chenbro Slim FDD Slot SATA/SAS Hot swap adapter

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

adgenet

Apr 12, 2016

Attachments

azev

Jan 18, 2013
oh wow that is amazing find, how does it work on supermicro case ? do you have to do anything special to get it to work or it fits like it was meant for it ?

adgenet

Apr 12, 2016
I'd take a picture if it wasn't running right now, but I'm running a backup job...
Basically, the floppy blank has a metal guide on one side that screws into the side of it, this acts as a retainer to keep the drive from sliding in and out.
There are really two of these metal guides (one for each side of the floppy drive) if you buy the actual floppy kit from supermicro, but only having one seems to work just fine.
You simply undo the two screws from that, and put it on this.
Then, connect your power (4 pin floppy type) and SATA cable.
That's all there is to it.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Icy Dock has a number of similar cages, some supporting hot swap & others supporting SAS.
NB. Some of the dual 2.5" cages only support drives to 9.5mm
They even have a dual 2.5" cage that has built-in RAID or JBOD and only needs 1 x SATA cable.

2.5" SSD/HDD Mobile Racks_HDD/SSD MOBILE RACKS_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure

April cash back on some Icy Dock products:

http://www.icydock.com/MIR/April_2016_promotion_final.pdf

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I'd take a picture if it wasn't running right now, but I'm running a backup job...
Basically, the floppy blank has a metal guide on one side that screws into the side of it, this acts as a retainer to keep the drive from sliding in and out.
There are really two of these metal guides (one for each side of the floppy drive) if you buy the actual floppy kit from supermicro, but only having one seems to work just fine.
You simply undo the two screws from that, and put it on this.
Then, connect your power (4 pin floppy type) and SATA cable.
That's all there is to it.
If I understand this correctly, you still need to get supermicro floppy kit and move the retainer from the supermicro kit to the chenbro hot swap module ??
In the past i've used supermicro part# MCP-220-83601-0B to install SSD on the fdd slot, but i like your solution much much better.MCP-220-83601-0B.jpg

adgenet

Apr 12, 2016
If I understand this correctly, you still need to get supermicro floppy kit and move the retainer from the supermicro kit to the chenbro hot swap module ??
In the past i've used supermicro part# MCP-220-83601-0B to install SSD on the fdd slot, but i like your solution much much better.View attachment 2301
Actually, I guess my chassis came with that piece. I didn't know it was an optional piece for others...
That thin metal strip that is attached to that is all you really need for this to work.

Given the simplicity though, you could probably get away with just a layer of (quality, like 3m vhb) double sided tape underneath the chenbro swap adapter and call it a day.
It's not like you use significant force to install and remove the drive sled anyway.

Attachments

Reactions: epicurean