Chenbro RM237 power supply issues with Eaton UPS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Veto

Jan 6, 2023
Greetings!

After acquiring a used Eaton 5PX1500 UPS, I've ran into a rather strange issue with it; both hot-swap power supply modules of my server lose power when the Eaton UPS drops to battery no matter what outlet/group they are connected to. Other devices attached to the UPS stay online normally and ALL outlets have been measured to output correct voltage and frequency when on battery. The server has absolutely no issues when attached to 25 year old APC Smart-UPS 1000.

Furthermore (and this is the best part), if my Harman-Kardon amplifier in the server rack, which is also attached to the Eaton UPS, is turned on, the server's power supplies recover and the server is turned on and stays on, even if the amplifier is turned off again.

What could possibly be the issue here?

psu.jpg

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
Eaton has a weird, oddly specific, just outside of standard, voltage regulator. i worked at a place that had entirely Eaton UPS and i have finally gotten rid of them all. the most annoying eaton would go into low voltage mode anytime the A/C kicked on (the a/c was NOT connected to the Eaton, just in the same building) then the Eaton would discharge all day long and never sense it was plugged in to mains because it read mains voltage as being too low. once the Eaton shut off, it could be powered on and would work and charge, once 100% charge was reached, and the A/C for the building kicked on, the Eaton would go into discharge mode again.

that is the weirdest Eaton issue i had, but not the ONLY Eaton issue i had. the Eaton NICs were god awful, i did actually have some switches that would not run off of Eaton UPS. (sounds like the same issue you have, i THINK it is again due to a odd voltage regulation, but i never cared to deep troubleshoot it)