Chenbro-Cleversafe-Slicestor-1440

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
I've been shopping around for 360mm radiators and pumps... Trying to decide if I can save power or gain some performance by doing a watercooling loop in this case. It's set up perfectly for it. Empty spot for resivour, flat open fan panel with 3x 120mm fans. Doesn't get much better than that. Can't find a decent low power pump. Trying to not use a 30w pump when two big passive heatsinks will probably be more than needed already and the power draw from the pump would easily kill any advantage I gained. Would be fun though. Then again, coolant leaks in a case with 48 hard drives would make me cry... Damn, I think I just talked myself out of the idea.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Does anyone know what screws are needed for the hard drive caddies?

sociablewaver

Dec 19, 2016
Does anybody know what heat sinks would fit this processor? The current heat sink fan is the loudest part of my modified setup.

sociablewaver

Dec 19, 2016
I'm an idiot. Kindly disregard.

I had the thought that I would need to use a none standard cooler that just happened to fit to get the cooler cheaply. Sorry for wasting your time. ;)

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
I'm an idiot. Kindly disregard.

I had the thought that I would need to use a none standard cooler that just happened to fit to get the cooler cheaply. Sorry for wasting your time. ;)
You just need to make sure the height of the cooler doesn't interfere with the top of your case and you have fan headers to hook up the fans (if you get one that has fans).

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Can anyone tell me how long the rails are for this case? Mine didn't come with rails and I'm trying to find a server rack and everything I find has the distance between the vertical rails at 30".

theregoesplanb

Oct 17, 2016
Anyone know what would keep the drive indicator lights from working on one of the backplanes? I can locate drives via the LEDs on the first backplane, but it doesn't work on any of the slots in the second backplane. Card I'm using is an LSI 9361-8i.

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
Anyone know what would keep the drive indicator lights from working on one of the backplanes? I can locate drives via the LEDs on the first backplane, but it doesn't work on any of the slots in the second backplane. Card I'm using is an LSI 9361-8i.
Does your cable have the built in SPGIO line? Most backplanes need either that our an I2C connector to transfer that kind of data.

SGPIO - Wikipedia

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Do the drive sleds use the standard HDD screws or should I be looking for different HDD screws (if so, what thread and length)?

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
Hmmm... Not sure. I'm using these LSI cables: LSI LSI00400 0.6 meter internal cable SFF8643 to SFF8087 (mini SAS HD to mini SAS)--Avago Technologies-Newegg.com

I have have a pair of them to connect port 1 of the card to backplane 1 and the other for port 2 to backplane 2. I'd think if it was a problem with the cable, the lights wouldn't work on backplane 1, either.
SGPIO is separate from the hard drives, not even part of the SATA/SAS specs. So the hard drives will work perfectly, it just doesn't have the extra data chanel for out of band info. The backplane probably has its own management of status lights, I doubt the controller has anything to do with it or is even aware there are status lights.

I don't see anything about that cable mentioning sideband or SGPIO so it probably doesn't support it.

theregoesplanb

Oct 17, 2016
SGPIO is separate from the hard drives, not even part of the SATA/SAS specs. So the hard drives will work perfectly, it just doesn't have the extra data chanel for out of band info. The backplane probably has its own management of status lights, I doubt the controller has anything to do with it or is even aware there are status lights.

I don't see anything about that cable mentioning sideband or SGPIO so it probably doesn't support it.
I contacted Chenbro and they informed me that you need to use CB3 (right most connector) for it to work. It's working now. Oddly, I wasn't using CB3 on backplane 1, but I switched it to CB3 and both are now working.

Attachments

theregoesplanb

Oct 17, 2016
Just got mine and racked it tonight, my rails (included in auction) were monsters too but they were just threaded, 4 screw holes in the front and 2 in the back. For those who were asking earlier in the thread; it pulls about 190 watts idle (bios screen) and the fans make it run about 43dB 12" from the exhaust. Mine came equipped with a X9SRL-F with a E5-2603.

Let me know if anybody wants more info.
My rails are the same. What's the trick to securing them to square hole racks? 10-32 cage nuts don't work well since the bolts bottom out on the rails before the bus are pulled in tight.