Chenbro-Cleversafe-Slicestor-1440

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
Unless the drive tray is made out of cheap plastic, the limiting factor is the aluminum case of the drive as the screws just go through holes in the trays.
The drive sleds are made out of thin plastic and seem cheap compared to SuperMicro sleds, which were thicker and reinforced with metal.

Any known issues with backplanes or other quirkiness, common failures or things to look out for?
Not that i'm aware of but I wasnt really in a position to know. We used all sorts of SATA disks (desktop and cloud class) in them and they generally seemed to work. I know we had custom firmware for some disks, although I never knew what was changed in it.

Last edited:

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
What was the maximum torque to be used for those sleds?

Are SATA2/SATA3 drives supported? And if yes, any issues with using SATA2/SATA3 and SAS2 drives on the same SAS2 controller channel?
I dont remember, someone on the hardware team set the collar on the screw driver and no one ever messed with it. Be gentle is all I can recommend. And yes SATA 3 disks worked fine in them. We didnt really use SAS disks that often if at all, just about everything I ever handled was SATA. But since the backplanes and HBAs were SAS I dont see why you couldn't use them. I'm not sure if they will only negotiate SATA disks at a certain speed like some HP MSAs do (SAS 6gbps but only support SATA at 3gbps). For our use this wouldn't have been a problem anyways since 48 disks can easily saturate dual 10GbE (in the case of a Slicestor 2440). I'm sure someone here who bought one could report if it has 6gbps negotiation issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: I M

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
The drive sleds are made out of thin plastic and seem cheap compared to SuperMicro sleds, which were thicker and reinforced with metal.
The problem is there's only so much space across the front of a 19" chassis and 4 3.5" drives takes up just about all of it. Thicker trays means thinner dividers and case. And / or needing a hammer to seat the drive because the clearance is so tight.

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
The problem is there's only so much space across the front of a 19" chassis and 4 3.5" drives takes up just about all of it. Thicker trays means thinner dividers and case. And / or needing a hammer to seat the drive because the clearance is so tight.
Remember, these are top load.

Also, by flimsy, I mean weaker than a $0.99 black plastic hair brush. Seriously, don't sneeze while holding these.

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
My buddy wants one of these now. So he's wonder how much would y'all offer for this with it being $80 for shipping as well?

Chenbro 48 Bay Top Loader 4U Chassis w/Rail Kit+Drive Brackets COMPLETE SYSTEM! | eBay
I paid $275 each with free shipping and I feel like I got a fantastic deal. I am dismantling these and turning them into expander chassis and I might end up making my initial investment back after selling ram, cards, CPU and motherboards. If a single xeon x3460 is enough horsepower for what you plan to do $350-400 seems reasonable to me.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
I paid $275 each with free shipping and I feel like I got a fantastic deal. I am dismantling these and turning them into expander chassis and I might end up making my initial investment back after selling ram, cards, CPU and motherboards. If a single xeon x3460 is enough horsepower for what you plan to do $350-400 seems reasonable to me.
I'll see if he plans on changing the hardware from a x3406...I believe he is as he was talking about dual 2670s a couple months ago when he started planning his build.

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
SuperMicro makes a 90 bay top loading chassis in the same general design. From their pics it looks like the trays for that are also reinforced with metal. There is enough free space in the Chenbro chassis that they could have made better trays if they wanted to.

SC946ED-R2KJBOD | 4U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Last edited:

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
SuperMicro makes a 90 bay top loading chassis in the same general design. From their pics it looks like the trays for that are also reinforced with metal. There is enough free space in the Chenbro chassis that they could have made better trays if they wanted to.

SC946ED-R2KJBOD | 4U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.
Exactly. Probably the fault of some bean counter in Accounting I'm sure. The rest of the case is awesome.

Also, the Chenbro sticks out behind my rack a bit, the SM chassis is much longer I think.

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
Also, the Chenbro sticks out behind my rack a bit, the SM chassis is much longer I think.
We used APC racks which if i remember correctly were 1200mm deep. I'm not sure if i'm mixing up the rails/models in my head, but one thing I always hated about the SS1440/SS2440 were that the rails protruded beyond the rear of the chassis, and I cut myself on them a few times because of it.

sociablewaver

Dec 19, 2016
Hey, I am new to this forum. In the past I have converted a 24 bay server to be quiet. I am down to two bays open on this server and decided to bite the bullet and purchased one of these 48 bay top loader units for $500 shipped off eBay. Considering the RAID card is worth at least half of this, I consider this a deal.

I've taken a lot of pictures. Mine was a little damaged in the mail, but powers on fine. I have yet to install any hard drives in the back plane.

I plan to disassemble everything, fix the front panel, paint the sides and top of the box, and reassemble.

I will make modifications to remove the 4 loud power supplies and use a quiet power supply. According to Chenbro's site, there current model 48 bay top loader only requires 1100 watts power supply. This is a lot cheaper than a 1600 watt power supply I was going to buy. Does anybody have any recommendations or corrections to the power requirements of this box? My 24 bay box has a 750 in it, and runs like a dream.

I may also look into turning the USB ports on the front into USB 3.

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
It really depends on what disks you're using, how many of them, if your controller supports staggered spin up, and what else you're putting in the box. Looking at the datasheet for a HGST UltraStar 7K4000 disk it uses 30 watts on startup and 11.4 watts on read which would be 1200 watts if they spun up at once and 548 watts for reading if the chassis was full. Also consider the amount of time it would take to stagger spin up 48 disks and if the IO would timeout before this was completed assuming you're allowing the disks to spin down to sleep. If you're not letting them go to sleep keep in mind 48 disks would idle at ~300 watts which would cost ~$25 a month just to keep them spun up.

Also i'm not sure how changeable the power supplies are. The ones for the RM43348 look much more narrow than the ones used in the 1440 as they have a single fan rather than two. Unless you were playing on doing something ghetto like mounting a large desktop chassis power supply in the PCI slot area or near the two boot disks in the rear, and then making the necessary cables to connect to stuff like the backplanes.

Last edited:

dfenestrate

Nov 30, 2016
Recently purchased Slicestor 1440 and the alarm light is visible + constant audible alarm. All power supplies are inserted. Not sure what I am looking for.

sociablewaver

Dec 19, 2016
It really depends on what disks you're using, how many of them, if your controller supports staggered spin up, and what else you're putting in the box. Looking at the datasheet for a HGST UltraStar 7K4000 disk it uses 30 watts on startup and 11.4 watts on read which would be 1200 watts if they spun up at once and 548 watts for reading if the chassis was full. Also consider the amount of time it would take to stagger spin up 48 disks and if the IO would timeout before this was completed assuming you're allowing the disks to spin down to sleep. If you're not letting them go to sleep keep in mind 48 disks would idle at ~300 watts which would cost ~$25 a month just to keep them spun up.

Also i'm not sure how changeable the power supplies are. The ones for the RM43348 look much more narrow than the ones used in the 1440 as they have a single fan rather than two. Unless you were playing on doing something ghetto like mounting a large desktop chassis power supply in the PCI slot area or near the two boot disks in the rear, and then making the necessary cables to connect to stuff like the backplanes.
Thanks, ended up buying EVGA 1600W 80+ Plat. Your post made it sound like I could get away with something smaller. However, why risk thousands of dollars worth of equipment to save $100¿

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
Recently purchased Slicestor 1440 and the alarm light is visible + constant audible alarm. All power supplies are inserted. Not sure what I am looking for.
Its been a while since I used one but iirc sometimes the power supplies would be finicky and would want to be reseated. I dont recall if I did this hot or cold. Check for failure lights on the power supplies and if the fans are spinning? If neither is relevant then you can look through the manuals for the chassis here, it is the NR40700.

Chenbro - Download Center

Thanks, ended up buying EVGA 1600W 80+ Plat. Your post made it sound like I could get away with something smaller. However, why risk thousands of dollars worth of equipment to save $100¿
Just a FYI but the power connectors to the back plane may not be standard and you might need to make some cabling. If you check the link above you should be able to find pinout diagrams.

sociablewaver

Dec 19, 2016
Just a FYI but the power connectors to the back plane may not be standard and you might need to make some cabling. If you check the link above you should be able to find pinout diagrams.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I have the pinouts for the back planes printed out. :)

dfenestrate

Nov 30, 2016
Its been a while since I used one but iirc sometimes the power supplies would be finicky and would want to be reseated. I dont recall if I did this hot or cold. Check for failure lights on the power supplies and if the fans are spinning? If neither is relevant then you can look through the manuals for the chassis here, it is the NR40700.

Chenbro - Download Center

Just a FYI but the power connectors to the back plane may not be standard and you might need to make some cabling. If you check the link above you should be able to find pinout diagrams.

None of the fans on the 4 PSUs are spinning, but show a green light. Checking out manual now.
Are they temp controlled? My garage is 20ish degrees F.

ugh, just kidding, closer look, they are spinning, still red alert light, though.

Last edited: