Chenbro 23601

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
First of all this is not the Wiki for this card, just my own toughts and questions. Thanks to DJ_Datte who found the card.

Finally, the card I've been waiting for has been released.

http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=187

the LSI SAS2 36 port chipset, with both two external connectors.

Now, to find somewhere to buy it :)
From what I can read in the Intel RES2SV240 Wiki this is supposed to be the best expander card solution out there.

Bottom line: Due to its ability to negotiate a 6G link with SATA-III harddisks, the LSISAS2x36 (which the LSISAS2x24 is binned from) *is* the superior SAS2 expander chip compared to the slightly older PMC8005 found on the HP SAS Expander. Unfortunately the 36-port LSISAS2x36 hasn't yet shown up on a dedicated expander PCIe card, its currently only found integrated with other products as mentioned.
- It has the molex connector from the Intel board.

- It has the 36 ports from the HP board.

- It has 7 internal and 2 external SAS connectors.

My motherboard has 4 PCI-E slots
My motherboard has an onboard 8 port 1068e chip
The Norco 4220 has 7 expansion slots.

Does this mean that I could have 4 of these in my main chassis if I:

Connected 1 to my onboard 1068e ports
Connected 3 to PCI-E HBA cards

Is that correct?

So we would have 3 external JBOD chassis which with the help of Link Aggregation would have 8 ports each and the another who would share it's bandwith with the main chassis?

And since this card has 2 external ports, could we use it to daisy chain "forever"?

Last edited:

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
I don't follow your description of how you want to hook it up but it looks like it'll be a solid card when its released this quarter (Q211). And you aren't going to be able to do any dual linking with the 1068e chip since its an older SAS-1 chip. Daisy chaining may also not necessarily work correctly with SAS-1 host adapters - its hit and miss depending on which hardware you're mixing, compatibility has however gotten better with SAS-2 spec'd products.

The two external connectors are nice and makes daisy chaining easier but at the cost of not having two internal ports for dual-linking in a 24-bay chassis like the Norco. However the practical advantages of dual linking in day-to-day use are debatable and in my mind overrated except for benchmarks.

If they don't price it above $300 then its a winner. However my sense is they'll price it $350-$475 somewhere because LSI wants a decent amount of money for their newer expander chips, hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
What I was thinking originally was something like this:

That way I'd have 3 chassis with dual linking, and one without. But if there is no real point in dual linking, then I guess one can have 5 chassis with 4 ports each.

Off course it would be cheaper to just daisy-chain them all from 1 Chenbro, but for some reason I start getting anxious when thinking about having more then 20 disks connected to each set of 4 SATA ports, even though there is probably no reason for those feelings.

I would prefer not having to daisy chain before I have to because I'm out of other options, and with the posibilty of having 100 drives I'd probably never need to. :)

Last edited: