Chelsio T540 and Procurve 6600-48g-4XG - No connection on 10GBe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
Hello everyone,
For the life of me I cannot figure this out. I have a Chelsio T540 and a T420, but neither will connect to my switch over 10gbe fiber. I have OM4 fiber running to my switch, and I am using two Chelsio (rebranded Finisar) modules, but I get nothing. I also tried some AOI generic modules and my switch flashes fault light and still nothing when plugged into my NICs. Am I doing something wrong?

On the server I have the NIC in I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2, have the Chelsio drivers installed, but no matter what configuration of modules-ports it doesn't detect any link.

sleeper404

Jan 10, 2021
With OM4 I'm assuming you're running SR or SR-S 850 wavelength adapters and when they're plugged into your adapter you can hold up a bit of paper and see red light on one side of the port? What's the upstream switch make/model, could be a compatibility issue or config issue on that side. Also, make sure the fiber jumper you're using is flipped on one side so the TX is going into RX on the other adapter on each side.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
I have two types of modules that I got in bulk, some AOI A7EL-SN85-ADMA modules and I also have Chelsio (Finisar rebranded) FTLX8571D3BCL-CL. Not sure if they are SR or LR.

My switch is a Procurve 6600ml-48g-4xg switch. It has 4 SFP+ ports for 10gb.

As for my OM4 cables, they do appear to be flipped at the one end. However, no red light when holding it up to paper.

The Chelsio modules cause the uplink light to blink on my switch, but the AOI modules cause the fault light to blink as well as the uplink lights, not sure if that's because it doesn't like these modules, or if it just wants an uplink? Or maybe it just wants HP OEM modules?

I tried with both a Chelsio T420-CR and a T540-CR and neither will show as connected.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Those HP switches are super picky about only working with HP branded DAC / SFP+
If you look at the port on the switch side in the cli / web gui does it show the module is in there and operating ok?

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
I looked at the logs, it says "Ports for Module in slot NT1 configured ON" but that's it.

Might pick up some HP SFP modules then and see if they will work.

sleeper404

Jan 10, 2021
It looks like those adapters are SR 850mm wavelength so OM3/OM4 multi-mode fiber should work just fine. I'm not an expert on HP switching (or Aruba) but usually they support some sort of command to the effect of "show interface transcievers" which should tell you if it's recognized and operable. If it's throwing a compatibility error you might try fs.com to get an HP coded optic for about $20 to go in the switch side.