Chelsio T520-SO-CR vs T6225-SO-CR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rogeroger

Dec 12, 2019
If buying new for a 10 gbe network, what are the advantages (or disadvantages) of going with the T6225 instead of the T520?

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Chelsio is pretty lousy with providing continued driver support for previous gen cards on future OS versions (the exception being FreeBSD, which bakes in driver support for older cards).

If intend for your purchase to be a more long term investment, go with the T6225 to avoid having a brick in the future.

Reactions: rogeroger

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
I don't know Aquantia products, do you have a model in mind?
All right, since you asked. :)
If we are talking about copper: I have all 3, and I like Intel's most (X550). It is completely trouble-free, easy PnP under Linux and ESXi, Chelsio t520-bt was not problem free for me under ESXi, I was not able to negotiate 10 Gbe links, no amount of troubleshooting made any difference. When inserted into a Linux box, I have problems from time to time negotiating 10 Gbe links or just links in general (two different adapters), sometimes I have to power off the server, pull the power cable and reboot. But, when it is UP, it just works - with jumbo frames and at max throughput.
Recently I bought a sub-$100 10 Gbe Network card - by Asus IIRC, but it is irrelevant. What is important is that it is based on a Marvell Aquantia AQN-107. The card performs flawlessly under Linux and under ESXi with maximum throughput, jumbo frames at minimum temps and minimum CPU usage. I liked it so much that I bought a few of those cards in a Thunderbolt guise.
So there. That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Reactions: rogeroger

rogeroger

Dec 12, 2019
All right, since you asked. :)
If we are talking about copper: I have all 3, and I like Intel's most (X550). It is completely trouble-free, easy PnP under Linux and ESXi, Chelsio t520-bt was not problem free for me under ESXi, I was not able to negotiate 10 Gbe links, no amount of troubleshooting made any difference. When inserted into a Linux box, I have problems from time to time negotiating 10 Gbe links or just links in general (two different adapters), sometimes I have to power off the server, pull the power cable and reboot. But, when it is UP, it just works - with jumbo frames and at max throughput.
Recently I bought a sub-$100 10 Gbe Network card - by Asus IIRC, but it is irrelevant. What is important is that it is based on a Marvell Aquantia AQN-107. The card performs flawlessly under Linux and under ESXi with maximum throughput, jumbo frames at minimum temps and minimum CPU usage. I liked it so much that I bought a few of those cards in a Thunderbolt guise.
So there. That's my story and I am sticking to it!
Ok but the X550 uses 10Gbe RJ45 (I would prefer SFP+ ports). As for the Asus you are mentionning, is it this one? Thanks for your answer.

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
I only do 10Gbe in copper. I know AQN-107 is in SFP+ form too, but I do not have any first hand experience with it.

rogeroger

Dec 12, 2019
I only do 10Gbe in copper. I know AQN-107 is in SFP+ form too, but I do not have any first hand experience with it.
Well, my computers will be connected to a switch with SFP+ DAC (short distance). I'm trying to avoid QSFP+, although I found a brand new T580 selling for less than the T520.

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
What's important is it's based on a Marvell Aquantia AQN-107
The card performs flawlessly under - Linux & ESXi ... with
- max throughput
- jumbo frames
- and all at minimal temps & CPU utilization.

I liked it so much ... I bought a few more in a Thunderbolt guise.
Can you elaborate on that "Thunderbolt Guise" ..?

Do you mean you added it within a TB3 External PCIe enclosure ..?

This is what I'm about to do as well -- except I need access to it for my MacBook Pro (ideall with modern-driver support. It's POSSIBLE (not certain) that Catalina support may be tantamount to Monterey support ... but I am NOT buying one of those outrageously priced ATTO TB3 to SFP28 or QSFP+ cards ... they're just rapists!!! with what they charge for a rebranded Mellanox ConnectX-3. I will stick with SFP+ and the Sonnet SFP+ if I can't find another SFP28 or QSFP+ option.

Thanks in advance ... and you just threw a huge wrench in to my research as to which NICs I use / buy! dammit! :)

Chelsio (quietly) offers macOS support for many of their NICs to include Catalina.
I have some T520-SO-CR ...& plan on testing em first in Monterey (hoping their "Catalina" driver (kext) just "works").

If so, I'll probably pick up either a Chelsio SFP28 or QSFP28 card as it uses the same driver...

My (Ghetto Fab) Plan to circumvent ATTO pricing while adding (Q)SFP28 via TB3 for MacOS via:
- NVMe (M.2) to TB3 adapter ... (I have many to try with: OWC, Sonnet Fusion, Samsung X5, etc.)
- NVMe (M.2) to PCIe 3.0 x4 slot ...
to gain access to the NIC in macOS without paying ATTOs ridiculous pricing.

Worse comes to worse ...
- there's a github project to develop / use ATTO's firmware with a Mellanox ConnectX-3 card ...
- SmallTree ..?
- and I will research further as needs demand

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I’ve used SmallTree stuff before. Performed well. Their support to maximize throughout/reduce latency was worth price alone.

Reactions: TrumanHW