Chelsio nic goes down after ~5 minutes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arcadeperfect

Feb 6, 2021
Hi,

I got two used Chelsio 110-1160-50 T520-CR nics off ebay.

One of them seems to work fine. The other works as expected, but after about 5 - 10 minutes, suddenly goes down. That is to say, in Freenas it reports as “down” in the interfaces menu, and in Windows it shows “Network cable unplugged” in the control panel, and the same in Ubuntu. Tried swapping the nics, it’s always the same one that goes down regardless of which box its in. Doesn’t seem to matter which port I use on the card.

Quite difficult to get it to come back up, it seems that I have to disconnect completely it and hard reboot the workstation, although even that doesn't always work.

Installed the latest Unified Wire software.

Is there anything else to try or is it a bad nic?

Thanks!

azev

Jan 18, 2013
not sure if the issue is similar but I had a intel X540 that had very similar issues. In windows event viewer I notice an error that say the nic was shutdown due to overheating. Rebooting the server would get the nic back up but it would shutdown again momentarily. I resolve the issue by putting a small fan in front of the nic and the problem never returned.