Checking complete disks for errors in OmniOS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

daisho

Apr 25, 2019
Hi,

I just upgraded my server rack with a few more drives, now as 12TB per disk is a lot of space I wanted to check them thoroughly for errors before actually using them. On windows I know of several tools to do that but have no experience/idea for Solaris/OmniOS.

What do you usually do for that, just dd'ing whole disk or pool with zeroes (for example) and then check ioctl/smart data?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Smartmontools and badblocks would be my go to :)

You may have to install those of course, if they are not already present in the OS

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I usually do an intensive test when needed with a manufacturers tool like WD data lifeguard, either on a Windows machine or via an USB stick with Hirens, Hiren's BootCD PE that comes with WD data lifeguard among a thousand other tools.

Last edited:

daisho

Apr 25, 2019
Thanks, I guess booting with Hiren BootCD should not be a problem. On my workstations I can't test them as I don't have SAS HBAs there.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can also try other Linux test tools on USB (if the driver for your HBA is missing on Hirens). SAS to USB converters are also available but sadly very expensive.

Last edited:

daisho

Apr 25, 2019
Not sure if WD tools would work on generic USB converters as they probably would only see the usb controller and not the disc directly and no low level access (at least I had problems with that in the past).

Hiren is already running though. Unfortunately no windows remote desktop seems to be activated on it and TeamViewer (probably because of licensing reasons) on a very old version (incompatible with current ones) and Aero Admin randomly stops updating the screen (but input is still received).

Whatsoever, continued via IPMI screen (rather slow and lots of lag), will do the job for now.