Cheapest 100Gbe switches - EdgeCore 7512-32X ~ $324

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019

32 ports of elegant 100 gigabits bandwidth each, all neatly enclosed inside an exotic black powder-coated 1U chassis for harmonious rack installations.

Indeed, this right here, is an officially affordable entry into the world of big-pipe networking.

The only caveat is that these are proudly inefficient at around 300watts typical without optical transceivers, and ignorantly a little too vocal for humble bedroom/kitchen DIY installations. Also as @fohdeesha has pointed out, latest revisions of the NOSes are not currently compatible so would be wise to ask for a unit with a pre-installed OS unless you're a coding guru and willing to partake in submitting compatibility patches upstream. Another crucial caveat is that they apparently come equipped with an Intel C2000 series cpu which suffer from an LPC bug, this could potentially reduce their lifespan, more info here - the C2000 series bug

Once you own one of these for your home you instantly gain recognition for being boldly eccentric with a dash of love from your utility provider.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
The main issue will be getting it running any kind of useful OS: OPX 2.1.0 not properly booting on Edge-Core AS7512-32X (opx-acl-init fails) · Issue #57 · open-switch/opx-onie-installer

The last OPX build that supported it is 4 years old, and people can't even get that to boot - same with SoNiC - no boot. older builds of PicOS apparently actually work, but a license is thousands of dollars. The firmware they come with (if they even do) will be a barebones demo build from Cavium for that ASIC with minimal (if any) real switching features. This is my one issue with whitebox/OSS switching, support is massively hit and miss, model support is often rapidly retired in a matter or 2 or 3 years, and it leaves the market with a bunch of useless e-waste like these switches which are now pretty much useless

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
The seller appears to know a little about them, he/she/they are offering the choice of a unit with pre-installed OS as well as a unit with no OS on request. One would hope potential buyers, or at least STH'ers will have done their research before purchasing, with enough demand one would hope the opensource community may update latest OS revisions to support the model.

Reactions: Samir

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Oh man, I REALLY don't need a reason to need a second circuit and another UPS in the rack...

Or do I?

(I mean I COULD just never turn everything on at the same time but that's cheating right?)

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
just realized the management plane on these is also the atom C2538 which is prone to the LPC clock failure atom bug, so you could probably get another year or two out of them depending
Oh, well that instantly becomes a "no buy" for me then. IIRC even when people have tried hardware mods it's still a "when it fails" thing?

melsom

Apr 30, 2018
Hello,

Sorry for bringing this old topic back up. Im the one created that Github issue, and sad to say we failed to get any sort of useful OS on it. We acquired a beta-version of PicOS (including licenses, for free, A+ on support there) for it which actually ran and worked as it should. Or so we thought.

Begun setting up ports, trunks etc everything seemed to work as expected.

The management started quickly getting extremely slow, hit n miss on SNMP, and eventually stopped responding. When it worked, it had a strange bug where moving quickly in the cli, tabbing to fast, show the config and skip through it too fast, the session would freeze and you would have to re-login.

Also SNMP doesn't output traffic data on the ports, only packet data. Not very useful.. But fully registered as a Pica8 PICOS device in e.g. LibreNMS.

If anyone is interested in the OS, let me know in a PM if you want to tinker with it, but it's highly beta and cannot be used in production :( Without a license only the first 4 ports work.

Edit: Oh, and if anyone has any sort of actual working OS for this, please do let me know. Otherwise we will actually just recycle these as e-waste.

_Adrian_

Jun 25, 2012
Leduc, AB
Hello,

Sorry for bringing this old topic back up. Im the one created that Github issue, and sad to say we failed to get any sort of useful OS on it. We acquired a beta-version of PicOS (including licenses, for free, A+ on support there) for it which actually ran and worked as it should. Or so we thought.

Begun setting up ports, trunks etc everything seemed to work as expected.

The management started quickly getting extremely slow, hit n miss on SNMP, and eventually stopped responding. When it worked, it had a strange bug where moving quickly in the cli, tabbing to fast, show the config and skip through it too fast, the session would freeze and you would have to re-login.

Also SNMP doesn't output traffic data on the ports, only packet data. Not very useful.. But fully registered as a Pica8 PICOS device in e.g. LibreNMS.

If anyone is interested in the OS, let me know in a PM if you want to tinker with it, but it's highly beta and cannot be used in production :( Without a license only the first 4 ports work.

Edit: Oh, and if anyone has any sort of actual working OS for this, please do let me know. Otherwise we will actually just recycle these as e-waste.
these can be real nice home lab switches if someone would have a knack to set the up right or come up with a working image for them!!

I too had purchased one off eBay for a mere $125USD but been quite busy lately and hit a wall once figured out that mine didn't even have ONIE loaded to it. so for me step one is to load ONIE and start from there...

Mine has some old outdated version of linux

life2b

Jul 26, 2020
these can be real nice home lab switches if someone would have a knack to set the up right or come up with a working image for them!!

I too had purchased one off eBay for a mere $125USD but been quite busy lately and hit a wall once figured out that mine didn't even have ONIE loaded to it. so for me step one is to load ONIE and start from there...

Mine has some old outdated version of linux
Yeah, I agree. I saw a guy in forum who made 7512-32x work as l2 switch. Maybe you can contact him.