Help with workstation dual xeon intel S2600CP2J 32/64GB RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Milos

Feb 22, 2018
Black hole with internet
Hello everybody ,
I have been reading thread for days with Intel boards S2600CP2J,
because I have almost no experience with the server boards, and I ordered this intel board to build my workstation.
This build will be used for everyday things and I need to run 2-3 Linux systems in same time over VMware workstation(don't know any other way, VBox I don't like problems with setup) on Win 10 as host . I am very new to this WMware use.
I took this board because it was cheapest that I could find to have 2x2011 CPUs sockets(150$ with shipping).
This build should work as a workstation not as a server.
Now I need to order my other components. And to make list of thing that I need for this build.
CPUs that I want to buy are E5 2650L or E5 2650L V2 , nice number of cores and I don't do to much demanding things at the same time so I think low speed should be fine, and I would like to see the power consumption and the heat small as possible , and I dont think I need more then 32GB or maybe 64GB of RAM max.
Question about RAM , for optimal performance I read that it is best to have number of RAM modules as CPUs memory channels , in this case that should be 4 times for each CPU , that means 8 modules of RAM.
RAM will be 10600R -1333 MHz because of price. Since I will need 8 modules it will be 8x4GB.
Or maybe to go with combination with one cpu and to go with 4x8GB and later to add second CPU and more RAM.
PSU I have is one on picture , it has shot cables but I have ordered extension cables 8pin and 24pin, think it should be good enough for this build for start anyway.
I don care about case since I want to go as cheap sa possible in the beginning. It will be out of case for some time, or if I find some old case to fit.

Build should be some thing like this
MB S2600CP2J 150$
Back plate I/O 3$
CPU E5 2650L V2 95$ one peace
RAM

Micron 32GB (4x8GB) PC3L-10600R Reg ECC Server Memory RAM MT36KSF1G72PZ | eBay

or this
8x 4GB IBM Samsung 4GB 2RX4 PC3L-10600R VLP Server Memory RAM 49Y1440 46C0579 | eBay

So total price should be some thing like

MB 150 MB 150
CPUx1 95 CPUx2 180
RAM 78 4x8GB RAM 57 8x4GB
PSU same old 520W 20$ PSU same old 520W 20$
CPU cooler have CM CPU cooler should buy one more 30$
no case no case

so total should be 343$ or total 437$

Hope I didn't miss any thing I need.

Is there anything that I should pay attention with this build?
I want to know what you guys think about this. Any suggestion is welcome.
I come from non-English area so please forgive me if there are mistakes in writing.

Attachments

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I think I would be tempted to go for lower core count CPU's with higher clock speeds and better single thread performance for a workstation. Perhaps quad or hex core CPU's would be a better fit. Sure it's nice to have all those cores, but unless you have the workloads to exersise them, they are just sitting there looking pretty and burning power, but doing nothing for you :)

Milos

Feb 22, 2018
Black hole with internet
Because I have to take a very strict account of the budget, it will probably be 2 x 2650l or one 2650 v2 price is the same more or less . But because of RAM at the end 99% it will be one 2650V2 and 4x8GB 10600R DDR3 so latter I can add the same . For my current workload this is more then enough .
Thanks for the suggestion.