Cheap Supermicro CSE-116 - 1U 10x 2.5 hot swap, redundant PS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Pity the backplane is TQ rather than a SAS2, or would jump on this to remove my SSDs from a CSE-826
Why is that? I'd argue the only undesirable backplane is the SAS1 one. You'll still get full speeds from the TQ one.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@jpk Many folks here including myself have bought from this seller in the past and have a very positive experience. They also have another listing with X9SRH. Wonder how loud the tandem 40mm screamers are? :eek:
IIRC, they offer good discount on OBOs.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Definitely the wrong chassis to build a JBOD. Too much PSU (dual 700w) & too much fan. You'd spend yourself silly modding it to be happy.

I've also never seen a SM chassis with those internal 2.5" drives (looks like it could hold 4 internals). Very interesting - probably an OEM custom job of some kind. Again - interesting. If didn't have empty 1u chassis already in my rack I'd definitely be in - though I'd lowball an offer just to see what they'd take.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
@jpk Many folks here including myself have bought from this seller in the past and have a very positive experience. They also have another listing with X9SRH. Wonder how loud the tandem 40mm screamers are? :eek:
IIRC, they offer good discount on OBOs.
I speak from experience in trying to piece together a lab of 2U short depth SM chassis, the counter rotating 40mm fans are not really something you want to be in the same room as. The only way to remedy this is by using a manual fan controller or a Noctua NA-FC1.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Ahhah, I think they listed these after I asked them about getting just the chassis without the motherboard/heatsink from their other $300 auction. I ended up getting one from another seller who was including a CPU as well for the $300, and figured I would play with the motherboard, if the power draw isn't much more than the X10SL7-F I was going to put in it, I'll stick with the higher end board and put in more RAM.

Both sellers have a ton of them. I got mine for a 10-bay ZFS box with a 10-drive Z2 zpool. I was going to use one of the 8-bay older versions of this case which are shorter with a fixed PSU and no internal 2.5 bays, but figured 10 drives would be better than 8 in the long run.