Cheap, secure online storage?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Octavio Masomenos

Feb 4, 2019
If I want to run my own NextCloud server but I also want that data securely backed up offsite, who has the best pricing for 1+ TB?

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
I'd guess Wasabi right now. Cheaper than S3 for storage and no outbound transfer fees.
They do have lower redundancy than Amazon though but for backups, this should be fine...

Reactions: Octavio Masomenos

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
It really depends on how close you want to stick to 1TB. A lot of the options out there are similarly priced at the 1TB mark, but as you scale up they can change dramatically. Options like Backblaze or Crashplan offer low flat rates for unlimited storage, but you'd need to see if they meet your requirements.

I always consider these services to be best effort backups in that most don't have real SLAs and penalties around losing your data so there's only so much trust you can give them. I already have 2 local copies of all my data and a third in colocation so Crashplan is just a cheap extra layer of safety for me.

Reactions: T_Minus

Octavio Masomenos

Feb 4, 2019
Thanks, Aestr! 1TB is probably all I need for all my personal data, photos, etc. If I could find something at a good price point, OI'd consider backing up all my CD/DVD/BD rips as well. I'll look into Backblaze and Crashplan.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
If I want to run my own NextCloud server but I also want that data securely backed up offsite, who has the best pricing for 1+ TB?
"Cloud Server" \ VM + Attached storage -- can be from many providers, gives you full control\access to your data, and can attach NextCloud to it remotely if needed too.

Obv. this isn't $5\mo oversold, limited, etc, like most backup services.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
The problem with a lot of the backup or cloud storage providers is that you either need to use their software or their website to upload data.
Something that is S3 compatible (Wasabi, AWS) or has wide adoption as an alternative (Backblaze) would be a better bet as they'll tie into existing tools like Nextcloud natively.