Cheap pfSense setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think the C2358 is a great pfsense platform. I do think some of the ARM options are going to be exciting for network appliances soon too. The most exciting bit is that many of the new SoCs are integrating 2x 10GbE as standard.

Reactions: T_Minus

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Netgate's 4 port c2358 offering is going to be interesting for the price point for sure.

Netgate RCC-VE 2440 Intel Rangeley C2358 Dual Core Board

The other interesting one is 2 port for $279

Netgate RCC-DFF 2220 Intel Rangeley C2350 Dual Core Board

The higher end netgate offerings are going to be interesting for me because of the processor capability. Add a really good ssd, Virtualize pfsense & your RODC, your ip-pbx and now you have an AIO SMB remote site solution. Super fast vpn due to the AES-ni support and gigabit routing, along with hosting your RODC.

Last edited:
Reactions: whitey

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
Personally, I would like to find a dual ITX-type appliance to setup PFSense on with each node having dual nics. They exist, but they are not what I would call cost effective.

I think the C2358 is a great pfsense platform. I do think some of the ARM options are going to be exciting for network appliances soon too. The most exciting bit is that many of the new SoCs are integrating 2x 10GbE as standard.
I'm interested to see how ARM develops. Currently there is no support for PFSense to run on ARM, however, hardware-wise should be interesting to see the Win 10 ARM devices that come out. Should make some interesting cannibalization for other projects :)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Sorry I posted this and then 'disappeared'...schedule got crazy there for a bit w/ NSX/Red Hat training and taking on new responsibilities at work. Glad there was a spirited discussion that was sparked up. I KNOW there had got to be better options out there...My holy grail would be an AFFORDABLE/AVAILABLE board that is sub-$200 (or right at that top end), ROCK solid, and comes with 2 Intel GigE ports(<- this is important to me). The APU PC-Engines board set me back $170 in all...I'd happily pay $30 more for dual port intel ports and one less NIC. Back to the side gig now, the APU board worked out great (realtek's make me cringe but whatever), simple, fast install, gzip nano image onto SD card and off to the races. Pushing all my 100/20 line could throw at it (80-110 Mbps on a 4.3GB Linux iso via torrent w/ a bunch o peers) and CPU only barely broke a sweat at 30-35%. Nice lil' upgrade from the ALIX boards I have entrusted many a pfSense workloads to in the past.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Netgate's 4 port c2358 offering is going to be interesting for the price point for sure.

Netgate RCC-VE 2440 Intel Rangeley C2358 Dual Core Board

The other interesting one is 2 port for $279

Netgate RCC-DFF 2220 Intel Rangeley C2350 Dual Core Board

The higher end netgate offerings are going to be interesting for me because of the processor capability. Add a really good ssd, Virtualize pfsense & your RODC, your ip-pbx and now you have an AIO SMB remote site solution. Super fast vpn due to the AES-ni support and gigabit routing, along with hosting your RODC.
DAMN bds, nice find and I am surprised I didn't see those, a little too rich for this project but they look solid. That RCC-VE 2440 looks SEXY, quad port intel nics give me tech chub for a pfSense platform. Why does the board pic on their website look like it has 6 RJ-45 eth ports but w/ the shell on only ythe quad i354 is exposed? Odd I thought. Maybe they just flip-flopped a RCC-VE 4860 pic.

One up'ed me for sure! I like your thinking around ROBO slim AIO configs/workloads. Very slick!

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Now I've gotta figure out if any of the CF cards I have around are big enough, and how I'm going to get the pfSense image onto one of them.
Easy peasy my man...dontcha' just love one liners? :-D (in Linux anyways this works, follow official pfSense link I list for other OS's)

gzip -dc pfSense-memstick-2.1.5-RELEASE-amd64.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdz bs=1M

Shamelessly stolen/linked out of ...tah dah -> Writing Disk Images - PFSenseDocs

OK, sorry, all caught up now, sorry to blast the thread in rapid fire.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Supermicro X10SBA-l is right in your price range (before memory, psu and case anyway...). Quad core J1900 2.0ghz with dual lan.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
For basic pfsense this is good. If you want hardware OpenSSL offload, C2558 or C2758. Lower power and lower CPU utilization for your VPN.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Reactions: Diavuno

Diavuno

I wanted to buy this:
Eglobal Barebone mini pc J1900 Quad core 4 LAN 1080P 12V Mini Desktop Computer 1*VGA Free Shipping-in Mini PCs from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

But can't pay for it. I really don't want to send AliExpress my card statement and driver's license and what not. So I have to find a reasonable alternative. This would have had 4 lan ports for less than the NetGate 2 port version. This J1900 kit is on Amazon, but not for AliExpress prices
I like these units, I have bought and deployed 20 or so (a few for myself)

Great units. I'm loading them with a 2-4gb stick of crucial and (typically) netbook msata around 8-16gb

I have a few with more running as hypervisors with pfsense, web filtering, and typically SMTP

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk