Cheap Pfsense conversion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
May 1, 2020
I want to replace my consumer-grade router with a proper Pfsense one. On hand I have a spare i5-4690k with a spare MB and RAM.

So I was thinking about just buying a rackmount case that comes with a PSU and fans, slap in my spare hardware, grab a LGA 1150 1U or 2U heatsink and a network card. However, I'm not too certain what chassis, etc. to grab and what ones are actually reasonable quality.

Also looking online it seems like a lot of the cases are already over $100 easy, and start entering the territory of where I could buy an old server instead of piecing something together and save my hardware for something else that might use it's power more.

I'd like to get some opinions on these ideas, which is more practical and price-efficient. I'm also willing to go with a pre-built or something more tailored to Pfsense but most I've seen are rather expensive compared to the ebay options.

I'm mostly planning on this being a homelab scenario. Mostly just the basic border between WAN and LAN. I don't have any real plans for making the box do a bunch of extra stuff on the side, I might mess around with some of the extra features but I don't need to setup a VPN that can do 1G both ways or anything intensive like that.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
Unless you need something very quiet or you have only 2 post rack and need a short case, i would go for a used server. Most of supermicro(as an example) 1u chassis have only 1 pci slot(enough, but no future expansion) or have meager psu(200w) or have non-removable motherboard backplate so only specific mobos will fit.

Also, what is the size of your mobo? Many of short cases wont fit atx or larger.

May 1, 2020
Sorry I forgot to mention that, it's a standard ATX motherboard, so I'd need a larger case. My rack is a standard 4-post and would accommodate a full-size rack-mount server just fine.

I'll put you down as a +1 for the used server side. Do you have any recommended models that I should shoot for and is there any concern of older CPUs lacking proper updates for all the recent security flaws discovered in Intel's line?

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
Sorry I forgot to mention that, it's a standard ATX motherboard, so I'd need a larger case. My rack is a standard 4-post and would accommodate a full-size rack-mount server just fine.

I'll put you down as a +1 for the used server side. Do you have any recommended models that I should shoot for and is there any concern of older CPUs lacking proper updates for all the recent security flaws discovered in Intel's line?
tbh, i would not spend too much time on it. dell 410, 420, 610, 620. hp gen 8. whatever fits your budget.

May 1, 2020
My budget isn't too tight but I feel like the it'll be hard to match the simplicity and pricing of just grabbing an old server at this point. A quick search shows a bunch of R610s for $100-$150. The price of getting a case could be at least $70 based on zack$'s post and then add in any additional goodies like a proper heatsink for the smaller case and possibly fans.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
My budget isn't too tight but I feel like the it'll be hard to match the simplicity and pricing of just grabbing an old server at this point. A quick search shows a bunch of R610s for $100-$150. The price of getting a case could be at least $70 based on zack$'s post and then add in any additional goodies like a proper heatsink for the smaller case and possibly fans.
Definitely can't argue with that logic. Power is usually why people tend to shy away from a "full server" implementation; you don't need all that processing oomph anyway.

Running pfsense is usually a 24/7 critical type of operation.

May 1, 2020
Definitely can't argue with that logic. Power is usually why people tend to shy away from a "full server" implementation; you don't need all that processing oomph anyway.

Running pfsense is usually a 24/7 critical type of operation.
I am concerned about power to some degree, however, if it's not using it shouldn't the server still be rather good about idling down to save energy?

I don't think my custom build would be more efficient, and I'm not sure if the increased efficiency of a pre-built is going to be substantial enough to be worth the increase in price (I could be wrong though).

May 1, 2020
I read somewhere that the idle power on a dell r610 is like 144w. A hp t620plus, on the other hand, is maximum 10-11w: https://www.servethehome.com/hp-t620-plus-thin-client-and-firewall-vpn-appliance/
That might be a good idea to move to instead, I haven't seen many of these sorts of things for this cheap (I've only really seen people showing the pfsense boxes straight from Netgate for like $400). Only downside I can see is that I'd have to keep it sitting on a rackshelf as a slightly more janky setup (very minor nitpick).

May 1, 2020
I won't wall mount it, but if you know of a 3D printable rackmount for it that would be amazing. I have a decent 3D printer and plenty of rolls to print it if you know of an STL for it.

I think I'm settled on a t620, I saw someone mentioning they could do gigabit fiber just fine with it on pfsense and that's all I really care about. I don't plan on this thing running anything crazy, anything hardcore can always be pushed to my big NAS server.

EDIT: Actually I might do a t730 since they are going for a similar price but are newer and presumably more cpu power for the same power input. HP t730

Last edited:

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I don't, sorry. Maybe you could use the drawing for the wall mount to design something? It literally needs just ears added.

May 1, 2020
It's fine don't worry. I could always try doing it myself in CAD. Also I might actually switch to the t730 because it looks like the same price but newer and should be similarly efficient.

EDIT: looks like you already know about that too :p I just realized you are the OP of the great deals thread on it.

Last edited:

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
Hello,

You need a low profile bracket network card. Look for an Intel OEM equivalent (i340 / i350). Please be very careful and avoid fake ones. click

Last edited:

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
Trust me when i am saying that it's harder to find T620 / T730 (or used enteprice parts) at decent prices in Europe. :)
This from last winter and it was BO. :)

1588497722747.png

Try to buy to from sellers that are using to sell components pulled from servers.
Intel Pro 100 is to old and the power draw is higher than newer models (i340 / i350).
There are some opinions that chinese don't bother to clone OEM parts so maybe you can look for an IBM (or other vendor) i340 / i350 with "removed from working environment " description. (T2 version wich means that it has two ports).

May 1, 2020
Searching around a bit using the different manufacturer numbers on the other forum post, I came up with these:

Dual Port IBM
or
Quad Port Cisco

You think they look legit? I think I'll probably go with the Dual port to save $30. I'm not certain that I can think of a use case for a 4 port card.

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
I run a HP 6300 Pro for my opnSense box. Uses about 25w with an extra dual port and single port NICs added in. I have a 4 post rack, I just have a shelf for the PC to sit on and am in the process of making a custom blanking plate to go around the front to keep airflow proper in the rack. Either just gonna get a piece of Plexiglas or something similar. I'm also in the process of figuring out how to hook the rack up to an outside air duct that I have. I want the heat to go out it in the summer but reverse it and bring in the cool air in the winter while dumping the heat to the house. Fun projects.