Cheap optical QSFP 56 Infiniband cables Guide

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kaytro

Currently breaking things...
Feb 24, 2015
Frist post here so I thought I would start by helping others.

Ok, so you know the cheap optical QSFP transceivers on eBay, Well it turns out you can use them.

First you need a MPO cable to use, and as a warning, they are not the cheapest things so be very careful when following this guide.

Take one end of a MPO cable and put it in a vice.

Dremel the top retaining bracket

Separate pieces then put back into the vice and keep pressing until the inner core cracks. This is where it is very easy to sever the fiber so be VERY CAREFUL

Pull off the cracked pieces and then you are ready to put it into a transceiver.

and the final picture

Fill the bottom of the transceiver with some epoxy or hot glue to keep the fiber secure.

Total cost $30

Feel free to ask any questions.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
There's a black connector at the end of the spring side of the cable that is between your fingers. Do you have a picture of just that and how to know how to orient it in the QSFP assembly?

Chankster

Mar 9, 2015
I think the burning question is how did you insert/align the fibers into the QSFP assembly.

Kaytro

Currently breaking things...
Feb 24, 2015
I think the burning question is how did you insert/align the fibres into the QSFP assembly.
There are 2 pegs on the qsfp transceiver that guide the connector in.

There is also an arrow on the fiberside (male) connector that helps keep send/receive fibres on the correct side.

Last edited: