Cheap ONIE switch to learn on, suggestion?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
I am wanting to get my hands dirty with SONiC and other NOS. So I have been looking at getting a Celestica Seastone DX010, its the cheapest thing I can find on eBay. I might have found a unit that has C0 Stepping so shouldn't be a problem with AVR54 bug.

Would this switch be a good platform to mess with? Or I am going to be frustrated?

Please chime in!

klui

Feb 3, 2019
looking at getting a Celestica Seastone DX010, its the cheapest thing I can find on eBay. I might have found a unit that has C0 Stepping so shouldn't be a problem with AVR54 bug.
I don't think you will find a DX010 with C0 stepping Rangeley. Mine was manufactured November 2019 and it still has B0, over 2 years after public bulletin's release. Most likely have the workaround instead since partners get advance notice courtesy through NDA. Much cheaper since they probably had a bunch of C2000s in stock.

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
The seller actually took a picture of the cpu and the manufacturer code is SR3GZ. Which is a Step C0. I am only hesitant to get it because I keep reading things on the forum on certain things not working right. My concern is that if I am implementing things and it's correctly implemented but because it's not compatible with the DX010

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Really? Do you have the manufacture date? Please list out /proc/cpuinfo in ONIE if you do buy. The DX010 doesn't support all features of SONiC like dynamic buffer management and the SFP+ port isn't supported. Not sure how difficult it is to change as it's not my domain of expertise.

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
oh I am not too worry about the single SFP+ port. As long I can use the QSFP28 to SFP28 break out cables. As all my devices are still 10Gbe SFP+. As well as I can trunk this switch to my current stacks I am good. I am going do a bit more research on it and then decide.