Cheap GPU for ESXi passthrough?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Are there any cheap GPU's that can be had for GPU passthrough in ESXi 6? I'm interested in testing out running my everyday "workstation" off a GPU and USB passed through VM off a Xeon D-1537 node (no onboard graphics).

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Quadro 2000's can be found off eBay for about $50, and are fully supported for passthrough by Nvidia (as opposed to GeForce). I use one currently in ESXi 6 as my workstation (although through a zero client).

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Quadro 2000's can be found off eBay for about $50, and are fully supported for passthrough by Nvidia (as opposed to GeForce). I use one currently in ESXi 6 as my workstation (although through a zero client).
Sweet. What kind of zero client are you using?

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Sweet. What kind of zero client are you using?
I have an HP t310, but you can get any Tera2 based zero client, the firmware is supplied directly from Teradici. Dell/Wyse is another big zero client vendor

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have an HP t310, but you can get any Tera2 based zero client, the firmware is supplied directly from Teradici. Dell/Wyse is another big zero client vendor
What are the advantages of using a zero client over just hooking your montior(s), keyboard, and mouse up directly to the sever? Is it just wiring convenience?

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I've bought a Dell Radeon HD8490 for exactly the same.
I'm looking to move to a bigger box, so I might sell mine, if you need it.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
What are the advantages of using a zero client over just hooking your montior(s), keyboard, and mouse up directly to the sever? Is it just wiring convenience?
Yes, the PCoIP protocol used sends everything over Ethernet, so you can also be located further away from the server if you want. However, I've personally observed a maximum of about 30fps with the Quadro 2000 and the software PCoIP video encoder. You may be able to get more through tweaking, or buying some expensive proprietary Teradici accelerator/hardware video encoder cards. But that may be one disadvantage of zero clients if you need higher fps

Andreas1138

Apr 2, 2016
I made some tests and I installed a 3D application like Google Earth on a Virtual Machine (Windows 7) under VMPlayer (which was installed under Windows 10 on a small ASUS Pro with i3, 16GB of RAM and integrated Intel Graphic Card).

I connected to that VM from another computer via remote desktop and executed Google Earth. The experience was really nice.
I then took the same Asus Pro computer and using another hard drive I installed VMware ESXi 6 as boot OS. I created another VM with Windows 7 and tested Google Earth again. The experience wasn't the same, it was really slow and sometimes the application wasn't able to run at all. I even set 3D acceleration and gave more memory to the virtual graphic card, but with no success.

Do you think if I insert a video card like Quadro 2000 or HD8490 can I run Google Earth?
I'll probably insert it on a Dell R710 server.

Edit: I found this, the Nvidia Quadro FX1800. Since I am not an expert, I don't know what specs do I have to look for if I need it on a server or if it's compatible with VMware ESXi.

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Do any of the older quadro series cards come in low profile form factor so they'd fit in a 2U chassis? Looking to spend under $100 on one.

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
For ~100-120$/€ you can get K420 in low-profile with 300/12 GFlops (single/double).

Just think if it is not better to get ATI. R7/240 gives 384/24 GFlops for half the price...

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
For ~100-120$/€ you can get K420 in low-profile with 300/12 GFlops (single/double).

Just think if it is not better to get ATI. R7/240 gives 384/24 GFlops for half the price...
The R7 240 is supported for GPU passthrough in VMware?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Can you use an AMD 270X ?

I have one of those sitting, a lot of power but may be useful.
(Thinking for me or selling it)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Way more power than I need and no low profile options from the looks of it.
Ah good catch on the low-prof option.

I'm going to keep an eye on what you end up with to see if power-wise it's worth it to sell and buy something different or just throw this in there.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
It may depend on your motherboard, I would get blue screens like no tomorrow even without installing the drivers on one host, but I'm able to pass through every AMD GPU I've tried (to the same VMs as before without changing a thing) on another

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
It may depend on your motherboard, I would get blue screens like no tomorrow even without installing the drivers on one host, but I'm able to pass through every AMD GPU I've tried (to the same VMs as before without changing a thing) on another
Is this just a trial and error thing or is there something to look for with regard to matching a GPU and motherboard? Trying to find a decent GPU to passthrough to ESXi on the new Xeon D-1537 board I bought.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Is this just a trial and error thing or is there something to look for with regard to matching a GPU and motherboard? Trying to find a decent GPU to passthrough to ESXi on the new Xeon D-1537 board I bought.
For me at least, it seemed to be all motherboard. I tried 3 different AMD GPUs from different generations in Windows 7 through 10 and it blue screened every time, almost immediately. Then I picked up the Intel S2600CP deal, and all 3 GPUs came up almost immediately in Windows using the default drivers (at least on Windows 10, and only one at a time which is a different issue :mad:). I think someone mentioned the R7 240, which is one I tried (and works). I have a low profile version, but it's double width due to the cooler. There may be other models that are single width

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
For me at least, it seemed to be all motherboard. I tried 3 different AMD GPUs from different generations in Windows 7 through 10 and it blue screened every time, almost immediately. Then I picked up the Intel S2600CP deal, and all 3 GPUs came up almost immediately in Windows using the default drivers (at least on Windows 10, and only one at a time which is a different issue :mad:). I think someone mentioned the R7 240, which is one I tried (and works). I have a low profile version, but it's double width due to the cooler. There may be other models that are single width
Just remembered the Supermicro X10SDV-7TP4F only has dual x8 PCIe slots. Is that going to be an issue even though they are open ended slots?