Cheap dual 2011 Brebones

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RandyC

Mar 1, 2014
Portland, OR
So, I was mainly working with a UCS c260 M2. Everything else is UCS blades at my work.

How are the Cisco's with remote management if you do not have a support contract?
I am not sure about this.

Here is the different configurations for CIMC (Cisco Integrated Management Controller)
Cisco UCS C-Series Servers Integrated Management Controller CLI Configuration Guide, Release 1.4 - BIOS Parameters by Server Model [Cisco Integrated Management Controller]

Youtube video for resetting the IP.

Does anyone know if these are quiet? I saw the one guy on reddit pimping these systems but he has not yet answered the noise question.
For a 2U rack server I would say on the medium-high side during idle. I was in the datacenter at the time, so I couldn't get an accurate noise level read.

heathen

May 30, 2015
By the way, can't find any info about backplane. Is it passive backplane with 1:1 ports?
And has anyone heard anything about compatible rails kit?

Thanks!

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
7 offers pending -- none sold --

We must all be thinking the same things LOL!

DrunkenLoliOni

Feb 19, 2016
Has anyone bought and/or received one of these? If they're good units and if hard drive trays are able to be found I'm thinking of grabbing one or two. I'm going to be putting together a freeNAS box in about a month and I think this might be a good option to build on unless anyone has a better suggestion.

heathen

May 30, 2015
B
And has anyone heard anything about compatible rail kit?
Just to answer on my own question:

Here is an offer for Dell C6100 rail kit, and this shop claims that it can be used as universal rail kit for Quanta. Didn't try it by myself though. On eBay C6100 rail kit starts from $25 ($10 + $15 delivery).

Last edited:

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
Those rails came with my C6100 and they suck. There's a... slide stop? at the back end that keeps the face from being flush with the rack and prevents removing Node #2. And I'm not sure those rails were intended for square-hole racks. Mine came with some screws for the top two holes but the heads aren't quite large enough to prevent them from going through the hole. Need to add washers, find screws with larger heads, or risk that the rails might fall out any time you mess with the server.

I think I have my C6100 on some MD1000 rails that I liberated from a former job. This $25 kit looks pretty universal and snaps in to a square hole rack.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Nice pics, thanks h0tw1r3. How is the sound when it's finished booting and in the OS?

DrunkenLoliOni

Feb 19, 2016
My Quanta arrived today. Seller accepted $289.

Uploaded a bunch of pics to imgr - Quanta S210-X22RQ
Did yours come with an air shroud? There was one in mine but it wasn't attached to anything and it looks like it is supposed to be.

Those rails came with my C6100 and they suck. There's a... slide stop? at the back end that keeps the face from being flush with the rack and prevents removing Node #2. And I'm not sure those rails were intended for square-hole racks. Mine came with some screws for the top two holes but the heads aren't quite large enough to prevent them from going through the hole. Need to add washers, find screws with larger heads, or risk that the rails might fall out any time you mess with the server.

I think I have my C6100 on some MD1000 rails that I liberated from a former job. This $25 kit looks pretty universal and snaps in to a square hole rack.
Those rails fit the C6100, I bought a pair and my C6100 is sitting on them in my rack right now. They DO NOT fit the Quanta though. The Quanta is narrower than the C6100 by about a half an inch.
My Quanta came with inner rails attached and the seller didn't have any outer rails, so I am looking around for some rails for the Quanta now.

mikesm

Mar 3, 2013
Sure thing. Anything in particular you're interested in?
I'd love to know the efficiency ratings for those PSU's. The nice thing about supermicro systems is you can tell if its a gold, or platinum, etc... supply from the model number.

Thanks!
Mike

h0tw1r3

Oct 30, 2014
United States
zaplabs.com
Did yours come with an air shroud? There was one in mine but it wasn't attached to anything and it looks like it is supposed to be.
Mine is exactly the same, looks like a part to the shroud assembly is missing.

They DO NOT fit the Quanta though. The Quanta is narrower than the C6100 by about a half an inch.
My Quanta came with inner rails attached and the seller didn't have any outer rails, so I am looking around for some rails for the Quanta now.
The C2100 case looks very similar, so I'm thinking these rails will work. Dell C2100 Outer Rail ball bearing kit for Poweredge C2100 FS12 PN# W251N

DrunkenLoliOni

Feb 19, 2016
The C2100 case looks very similar, so I'm thinking these rails will work. Dell C2100 Outer Rail ball bearing kit for Poweredge C2100 FS12 PN# W251N
I contacted a couple of resellers about the quanta rail kits, hopefully I will get a quote today or tomorrow. The problem is that the part number on the QCT website is for a bulk pack so it may be a lot of money for a lot of rails that I might not be able to sell.
We will see and maybe those rails you found will work out and I won't have to go down this road. Did you already order a set of them?

h0tw1r3

Oct 30, 2014
United States
zaplabs.com
We will see and maybe those rails you found will work out and I won't have to go down this road. Did you already order a set of them?
I haven't ordered them yet. Doing stress tests first.

Regarding the shroud, nothing is missing. According to the technical manual, the various mounting locations on top of the shroud are for addon raid modules (BBU, etc).

Be sure to update the BIOS and BMC. Fixed booting an existing gpt EFI drive for me.