Cheap chinese x79 mobos

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

iamtelephone

Jan 30, 2017
Specifically the "PlexHD" board listed in this post.
Supposedly most of the "cheap chinese x79" boards don't support RDIMM even if they say they do...
I don't remember any complaints about the Chinese x79 boards not taking RDIMMs (with e5 processors).

I have two HUANAN x79 v2.49 motherboards. Both are setup with e5's and 4x 8GB RDIMMs. There's been no issue in regards to RDIMMs.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Gave up on these Chinese boards - should known better than to hope. Even built a custom enclosure for it with water cooling.. sigh.

I'm now using refurb HP Z620 workstation boards - works great. 2 x16, 1x8 1x4 (both are open ended), got it for USD$60 and shipping took a few days from eBay.

Good luck to you all, hopefully these next round of X79 boards exceed expectations.

einstein

Jan 30, 2016
Once upon a time I bought a z800 board, than I had to hack a case to fit it, hack fan connectors, hack the power supply connectors and rewiring them, then after a short while that nasty proprietary motherboard who would refuse to boot with newer cpu's because of some crazy boot lock died and all I was left was a bunch of butchered hardware.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Once upon a time I bought a z800 board, than I had to hack a case to fit it, hack fan connectors, hack the power supply connectors and rewiring them, then after a short while that nasty proprietary motherboard who would refuse to boot with newer cpu's because of some crazy boot lock died and all I was left was a bunch of butchered hardware.
that;s why i recommend lenovo s30. the mb is pretty much oem. that you can use all regular stuffs. too bad s30 is not compatible with cpu like 2696 v2

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
i still think the runing x79z is one of the better chinese boards even if there is a lot of disappointment with it. It has 8 working ram slots compared to most of the others with only 4 or even 2. this has been verified to take 16gb rdimm with 128gb ram.

no one has verified with 32gb rdimm but maybe it could use that too. can someone with a chinese board verify with 32gb rdimm?

also it has an asmedia sata controller on top of the usual intel one so you get two extra sata port.

i also just verify that i7-3930k works on it but only with udimm, just like all the other boards. i7 will only work with udimm.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
thats a good point. luckily the HP 18 pin to 24 pin atx adapter is $5 or less in qty and I'm using water cooling so only CPU fan and linked fan controller for the rad fans

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
i still think the runing x79z is one of the better chinese boards even if there is a lot of disappointment with it.
What are the "disappointments"?
I'm thinking either that board (@ $149 USD) or the following @ $93: PlexHD
Granted, I give up one PCI and 4x RAM slots but for a NAS I doubt it'll much matter. The latter is also over $50 USD cheaper.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I have an S2600 board that I can use but have to redrill the case for the standoffs in a supermicro chassis AND have to hack the BDR for the fans and I have no idea where to start with that...

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
disappointments for runing x79z:

1. cannot get more than two of the pcie x16 to work at once, everyone would be fine with x8x8x8x8, or for me even x8x8x4x4 would be fine, but there has been no success whatsoever at gettting more than two of the pcie x16 to work at once, despite the fact this board has four x16 slots

2. No S3 sleep support

3. MSata slot on the board is just for show. does not work at all.

The positives are

1. 8 rams slots (definitely support up to 128gb ram with 16gb rdimm and maybe more if someone with 32gb rdimm willing to test?),

2. has an extra asmedia sata controller for two more sata ports for total of 8 sata ports,

3. works with just about all the cpus including oem 2696 v2... hasn't tried any es v2 cpu but you really shouldn't be getting v2 es cpu anyway.... also works with i7 cpus using udimm only (all the boards i tested so far will only allow i7 with udimm)

Last edited:
Reactions: iamtelephone

e97

Jun 3, 2015
^-yup -- biggest disappointment is lack of all 4 PCI-E x16 working simultaneously.

current pricing for the X79Z-VB10 is $105 + shipping if you order from the mfg

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
^-yup -- biggest disappointment is lack of all 4 PCI-E x16 working simultaneously.

current pricing for the X79Z-VB10 is $105 + shipping if you order from the mfg
website for direct mfg order? i hope they dont charge like $40 for shipping. then it's just the same as on ebay

e97

Jun 3, 2015
website for direct mfg order? i hope they dont charge like $40 for shipping. then it's just the same as on ebay
xlzmotherboard.com

Email: sophiagiga [at] xlzmotherboard.com

Shipping is DHL Express from China so yea it will be $40ish. You can try FedEx, UPS or another carrier which will be slower and cheaper.

The numbers work if you are ordering many boards or doing a group buy, otherwise its not worth the hassle.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
xlzmotherboard.com

Email: sophiagiga [at] xlzmotherboard.com

Shipping is DHL Express from China so yea it will be $40ish. You can try FedEx, UPS or another carrier which will be slower and cheaper.

The numbers work if you are ordering many boards or doing a group buy, otherwise its not worth the hassle.
X79 V161 LGA2011 挖矿板-深圳市新力致科技有限公司

Is this the one you talking about? the design is not the same as the runing x79z, which has a bigger heatsink over the chipset as well as also have a heatsink over the cpu capacitors which this one is missing..

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Hey, did you manage to do any more testing on the X9SRA ?

yeah, the verdict is iffy support for s3 sleep even though s3 is avail in bios.... on some of my cpu it would works and some it wouldn't wake from sleep and i have tried all those cpus on my lenovo s30 which are all good...

So if you take out the S3 sleep, then it's one notch better than the runing x79z since it:

1) support udimm, rdimm, lrdimm.. will support up to 512gb with lrdimm
2) two pcie x16 work with two additional pcie x8 physical (x4 speed) working.
3) will support oem cpu like 2696 v2.. also will support i7 with udimm...

So there is something to like about it i guess.... just disappoint that supermicro couldn't completely implement the s3 sleep feature..... can't blame it being a server board as this is suppose to be a WS board so s3 supposed to be working in WS.

kthree

Feb 18, 2018
yeah, the verdict is iffy support for s3 sleep even though s3 is avail in bios.... on some of my cpu it would works and some it wouldn't wake from sleep and i have tried all those cpus on my lenovo s30 which are all good...

So if you take out the S3 sleep, then it's one notch better than the runing x79z since it:

1) support udimm, rdimm, lrdimm.. will support up to 512gb with lrdimm
2) two pcie x16 work with two additional pcie x8 physical (x4 speed) working.
3) will support oem cpu like 2696 v2.. also will support i7 with udimm...

So there is something to like about it i guess.... just disappoint that supermicro couldn't completely implement the s3 sleep feature..... can't blame it being a server board as this is suppose to be a WS board so s3 supposed to be working in WS.
Thanks, then I suppose the S30 is a better buy if i can get one with v2 support and reasonably priced?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Thanks, then I suppose the S30 is a better buy if i can get one with v2 support and reasonably priced?
yeah, if you can get a lenovo s30 4351 or 4352 one which support v2 for less than $250 would be a better deal since you also get a nice psu and a good case to go along... the cheapest i've seen these x9sra on ebay like around $130 but that was awhile back... now the going price is $170+ even looking at the yahoo jp and including shipping...

The only minus for the lenovo s30 is there is no oem cpu support like 2696 v2 and also no i7 cpu support even with udimm, but other than that it's the best v2 WS imo..... everything just works! and everything is pretty much oem....

Reactions: SwanRonson

kthree

Feb 18, 2018
Greedily bought more Ivy Bridge CPU's than I have motherboards.
Interested in the x79 PLEXHD, has anyone found any other issues with it? It seems like the best china mobo to purchase at this time.
Is there a board suitable for overclocking as well as supporting RDIMMs ?

Currently have a s30 4351 and a Dell T5610.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Greedily bought more Ivy Bridge CPU's than I have motherboards.
Interested in the x79 PLEXHD, has anyone found any other issues with it? It seems like the best china mobo to purchase at this time.
Is there a board suitable for overclocking as well as supporting RDIMMs ?

Currently have a s30 4351 and a Dell T5610.
link for board?