Cheap chinese x79 mobos

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
Other two boards I found on Aliexpress which seem to have 4.5+ rating and over 200 reviews are both ~$145 but only have 4 DIMM slots:

Hot sale version 2.49 HUANAN X79 motherboard USB3.0 X79 LGA 2011 ATX SATA3 4 channel DDR3 memory tested before shipping-in Motherboards from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

If you decide to bite the bullet and test one please post a review!!

edit: @AMEXEU I see you grabbed a HUANAN X79, did you get either of the ones linked above?

edit^2: From reading some of the reviews. it seems some version differ slightly from ATX dimensions by a few mm . Would be nice to know if the latest version is compliant with the specs / dimensions.

Yea I got the green one - some notes - all dimm slots have to be populated to post - the freaking cooler mounting is lga 1336 not 2011! Note the one with metal threaded holes aroung the soccket are 2011, the ones with just through holes are lga 1336!

All Es chips i threw at it seem to work.

No overclocking not even blk.

V1 or v2 works.

Memory speed must be set manually.

Board size is out of spec a bit.

Server 2016 installs fine, all drivers found after update.

The lan blows, must use a nic card.

The m2 slot works, no nvme, but it kills 2 of 6 sata ports.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Yea I got the green one - some notes - all dimm slots have to be populated to post - the freaking cooler mounting is lga 1336 not 2011! Note the one with metal threaded holes aroung the soccket are 2011, the ones with just through holes are lga 1336!

All Es chips i threw at it seem to work.

No overclocking not even blk.

V1 or v2 works.

Memory speed must be set manually.

Board size is out of spec a bit.

Server 2016 installs fine, all drivers found after update.

The lan blows, must use a nic card.

The m2 slot works, no nvme, but it kills 2 of 6 sata ports.
Seems like a lot of compromise for a chinese board.... esp m2 slot usage

Trebor

Dec 18, 2017
I have one here running a E5-2667 V1 CPU that had one of the 4 HSF mounts break off the socket (what the HSF screws in to). I found out there are (at least) 2 versions of the S30 motherboard. The 1.0 has pin connections for stuff like USB/Front Panel. The 2.0 does not, it uses a little pcb slot to connect up the front panel. Standard ATX power supply seems to work fine with them though. Pretty much no over clocking. That being said, you can pick a whole system for not much more than the cheap china boards.
I got an S30 Socrates 1.0 board via Ebay and could not get it to work. On briefly jumpering the power-on pins, the numeric LED display briefly flashes something and the CPU fan does a partial rotation, then nothing. Ebay seller claims "tested" (I guess that doesn't necessarily mean "test passed", LOL).

So I got one of these Chinese boards (the "Runing", second Amazon link near the top of the thread). It booted right up using the same PS, memory, and CPU that I used on the Socrates. So the latter is going back, unless someone clues me in on some requirement it has that I might be overlooking.

I like the "Runing" for sufficient (though rather awkward) documentation, 2 usable x16 slots, and apparent actual ECC support (based on the scrubbing entries in BIOS).

The only negative is that a full-length GPU covers the SATA ports. Two are usable using right-angle cables (included); more might be, but I only need 2 so didn't try.

Trebor

Dec 18, 2017
I just noticed that there are at least two different "Runing" boards. The one in e97's post is more fully-featured than mine (more PCIe and memory slots).

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I got an S30 Socrates 1.0 board via Ebay and could not get it to work. On briefly jumpering the power-on pins, the numeric LED display briefly flashes something and the CPU fan does a partial rotation, then nothing. Ebay seller claims "tested" (I guess that doesn't necessarily mean "test passed", LOL).

So I got one of these Chinese boards (the "Runing", second Amazon link near the top of the thread). It booted right up using the same PS, memory, and CPU that I used on the Socrates. So the latter is going back, unless someone clues me in on some requirement it has that I might be overlooking.

I like the "Runing" for sufficient (though rather awkward) documentation, 2 usable x16 slots, and apparent actual ECC support (based on the scrubbing entries in BIOS).

The only negative is that a full-length GPU covers the SATA ports. Two are usable using right-angle cables (included); more might be, but I only need 2 so didn't try.
I bought a socrate v2 and it seems bad also. but I did also get a s30 WS that's fine. I guess it's just luck sometimes.....

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Happy New Year!

Had the motherboard for about a week now. Everything looks good.

memtest stable for 24 hours. Stable under ubuntu 16.04.3 and Win 10 Enterprise.

BIOS is very raw. Currently testing with RADEON VEGA 64 and GTX 1080 Ti - 1080Ti is at PCIE-E 2.0 x16 but the slot shows its a 3,0 - not sure if its a driver or BIOS issue.

Package:

IMG_6216-mobo-package.jpg

Test bench:

IMG_6219-testbench.jpg

Some screens:

aida64.PNG hwinfo64-mobo.PNG cpuz-mobo.PNG hwmonitor.PNG

TODO:

- Use both GPUs at PCI-E 3.0 x16
- Test 4x GPU at PCI-E 3.0 x8
- Test PXE Boot
- Test Virtualization
- Clean up power and cabling
- Build real test bench ;)

Last edited:

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Did you order from Alibaba? I'd be interested in one too, but the companies selling options are limited.
edit: Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, can you explain what you mean the buying options are limited?

Yes, you buy directly from the factory. I'll PM you the seller's contact info.

1) Make sure you get an invoice -- double check the numbers.
2) Pay through PayPal or Alipay so you're protected - I used PayPal.

I'm considering buying a bulk order soon, waiting on GPU vendor to resolve a driver issue..

If you like (and are in the US), I can add on a board. I'd ask board cost + domestic shipping + a nominal fee which would still be cheaper than buying 1 board + shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamtelephone

iamtelephone

Jan 30, 2017
edit: Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, can you explain what you mean the buying options are limited?

Yes, you buy directly from the factory. I'll PM you the seller's contact info.

1) Make sure you get an invoice -- double check the numbers.
2) Pay through PayPal or Alipay so you're protected - I used PayPal.

I'm considering buying a bulk order soon, waiting on GPU vendor to resolve a driver issue..

If you like (and are in the US), I can add on a board. I'd ask board cost + domestic shipping + a nominal fee which would still be cheaper than buying 1 board + shipping.

By "limited" I meant the company does not have many distribution channels. I could only find the board direct via their website or on Alibaba.

Maxime Roy

Jun 10, 2018
Hi guys, any follow up / updates on your X79 motherboard setup @e97 , @AMEXEU ?

I am ready to buy the HUANAN Deluxe X79 motherboard and would like your final tips before hitting the buy now button ;-)

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Hi guys, any follow up / updates on your X79 motherboard setup @e97 , @AMEXEU ?

I am ready to buy the HUANAN Deluxe X79 motherboard and would like your final tips before hitting the buy now button ;-)
Know your using tech thats ~10 years old and make sure you get the latest version:

New version with power fixes and M2 slot:TB2V.cpgZIrBKNjSZK9XXagoVXa_!!42849776.jpg

old version no M2
TB2oX1yuGmWBuNjy1XaXXXCbXXa_!!42849776.jpg

Looks like these boards are being run as Hackintosh:

Good luck and post a review with your experiences if you have time :)

Last edited: