Cheap 8x port Gbe switch experiences $30

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
TH-1008G, Chinese switch ebay special
Realtek 8370 based.

Now that the post is here I'm committed to do something
So far cheap is good, but with quirks.
More to come.

Getting hammered at the moment with file shifting.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
is this like the rosewill 8 port $19 special or asus 8 port with 1 VIP (80%) $19 special? I use them all through the house one per room with flatwire cat6 interconnect. I figure it will do until I can replace them all with $19 10gigabit 8 port switches (maybe in a couple of years?)

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Yip basically.

I'm running flat Cat7 cable though also bought
Testing through put with my Dell XR997 10Gbe controller to make sure no bottlenecks.

Small niggle I mentioned above, is both ASrock motherboards, one with Realtek other with Atheros Gbe LAN run at 100Mbps on port one.
But Buffalo Gbe NAS works at full speed on port1, as does XR997
Both Mobo's are happy on Port8

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Yes they were, but this one wasn't.
I can't get them as cheaply into NZ as ones from Hong Kong.
Price was king and wanted to see if these were any good.
If they weren't I didn't outlay much moola for it.

But so far so good

20,000th post made in the post of the person who made the 10,000th post
Freaky

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
no kidding you are in NZ? mobile - you up with rominator and the whole osx flashing of gtx 480/470 into quadro?

I want to buy a freaking desktop board and use it with esxi virtual graphics but not sure what the deal is as far as fuctionality goes. It seems they have a way to flash efi quadro 4000 bios and enable opencl on osx for 470/480 580 . Have you ever tested this with linux/esxi? /remotefx/xen ?

There is one other guy that was strapping the bits (0xdcd -> 0xddd with 1 bit or mask) and flashing the bios but it seemed to indicate it only worked as a second unit (one real quadro and one 470/480 modded) would work? I don't need to video cards just one :) to get some basic 3D without VT-D restrictions.

I assume the nvidia part of your name might indicate knowledge of this - or perhaps how to hack the drivers (esxi) to accept other cards.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Well I do run a website where I mod NV INFs and some other things as well
But esxi hacking I've not tackled, I've had a quick look, it's too hard to break into let alone put back together again.
Time is not on my side, far too stretched with a gazillion things on the go.
I have to work to pay for all these 'experiences' that pop up here.

I do need to get back into esxi again and actually setup a server, instead of the giant mess the office is with bits everywhere.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Not having much luck this week.

Lightning struck near the house, lights started to buzz, power went out for 10secs
Then smell of smoke.
Check office and the Switch was not working, horrible smell coming from Modem.
Modem completely dead, internals completely fried

Switch also has soot at one end and won't powerup

But this was working well, and luckily not much moola spent on it

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
stinks. I wonder if NZ is like Aus where everything is trying to kill you?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
In Aussie everything tries to eat, kill, maim you

In NZ the weather does it best to shorten life.

I'll take piccy of modem internals, should do an article on this
As it's the 2nd time now this has happened.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Been there brother. I was working on an article for the main page once upon a time when lightning ate my lunch. Fried half my rack. I'm just now getting back to where I was. I was going to do an new article on how a UPS alone is inadequate unless it has coax protection as well when I moved across the country again and built a new house. This forced me to put the article on hold. Good luck in your recovery!

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Yeah, UPS wouldn't have saved me from getting zapped via phone/DSL line either.

I built house with overkill 6.5m long 16mm galvanised steel earth rod.
Power is handling lightning with no issues.
Phone line is a 2 pair cable, using only one pair.
Been thinking about grounding the 2nd pair and earthing at box where line comes into house with own earth rod.
I've got some monster rod at work I could use, sledge hammer in after making a nice sharp rock breaking point.

BTW completely pulled switch apart.
Plugged it back in, random LED flashing no port life :(
Heap of black scorching around ports 1 and 2 where the line came back from router

I think the WAN port on my DLink DIR-685 is not working I get nothing connected when I attache my spare DSL modem router.
I need to investigate further, LAN going back to switch is probably also fried.
I do have another router with WAN as I prefer to have a bridged modem going to a router.
Quickly running out of spare gear, but at least i'm not disconnected from outside world for long

ASRock Mobo survived the incident with no issues, unlike ASUS which is now a paper weight.

Last edited:

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Sorry to hear that. The things I saw were completely weird. I heard a snap in my server room and a bright light down the hall. When I went to investigate, I was surprised to watch another bright light flash and snap in the rack. Half scared to touch anything, I opened the rear door to the rack and watched an ark from my coax to one of the LAN cables at which point I found some gloves, cut the coax with diagnal cutters and started pulling plugs.

Upon investigation, I found my Advocent KVM dead, 1 drive in my array and a network port on the mother board dead (found that one strange), another home built server MOBO dead, wireless AP working some of the time, switch unstable, etc. I was surprised to find re-flashing the firmware seemed to fix the switch (again weird). The array was rebuilt with a new drive and another drive failed shortly after. array is still degraded and rarely run while I experiment with ZFS and new drives. My file server is still acting weird in addition to the dead LAN port which is why I'm looking into building a E5-1600V2. I had a second 802.11N router sitting on the shelf that went in place of the better but toasted one. The good news for me is that the data on my array and areca card survived. The advocent switch ended up surviving, but 2 of the cables with the little PCBs on the end were what got fried.

My APC 1500 didn't even flinch in the incident. The coax was what got me. Now you know I have a surge suppresser on the coax.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Yeah, UPS wouldn't have saved me from getting zapped via phone/DSL line either.

I built house with overkill 6.5m long 16mm galvanised steel earth rod.
Power is handling lightning with no issues.
Phone line is a 2 pair cable, using only one pair.
Been thinking about grounding the 2nd pair and earthing at box where line comes into house with own earth rod.
I've got some monster rod at work I could use, sledge hammer in after making a nice sharp rock breaking point.

BTW completely pulled switch apart.
Plugged it back in, random LED flashing no port life :(
Heap of black scorching around ports 1 and 2 where the line came back from router

I think the WAN port on my DLink DIR-685 is not working I get nothing connected when I attache my spare DSL modem router.
I need to investigate further, LAN going back to switch is probably also fried.
I do have another router with WAN as I prefer to have a bridged modem going to a router.
Quickly running out of spare gear, but at least i'm not disconnected from outside world for long

ASRock Mobo survived the incident with no issues, unlike ASUS which is now a paper weight.
Fiber isolate your modem, I did it back when I was stuck with crappy coax internet. Kept the wall wart on another circuit breaker too.

Had to at my old place because some idiot on the street was dumping voltage on the line or something. You'd get a nice buzz touching pretty much anything that could trace back to it, all the neighbors I talked to had same problem. Grounding it where it came in the house didn't help. (cableco is required to do this by code, but installers fake it a lot, or use plumbing etc)
Bitched to cableco over and over, but as long as their stuff in the local hub isn't dying and service works they don't care.