Cheap 2TB HDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
not the same drive @neo
Those are the green version. Slower, I'd presume
You're right. WD2003FYPS supports "IntelliPower Technology" which allows it to shift speeds between idle and busy mode (5400 - 7200 RPMs), which in turns logically reduces certain amount of average data retrieval speed but saves reasonable energy and adds life, where as WD2003FYYS is at a constant 7200 RPMs.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
You're right. WD2003FYPS supports "IntelliPower Technology" which allows it to shift speeds between idle and busy mode (5400 - 7200 RPMs), which in turns logically reduces certain amount of average data retrieval speed but saves reasonable energy and adds life, where as WD2003FYYS is at a constant 7200 RPMs.
Do they really have variable RPM? I thought that was debunked when someone analyzed the sound from the drive.

Reactions: andrewbedia

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I dunno -- but the reviews, return rate, etc all I've found in the past on them has made me stay away.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I can't confirm or deny that claim as I have not personally tested it.

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
That link is to an ancient WD Caviar Green Power WD7500AACS
Correct. However, this is the only article I'm aware (off the top of my head and with little searching) that tests Intellipower rotation speed using audio, which is why I linked it. Its completely possible that more current iterations of Intellipower use variable RPMs.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Correct. However, this is the only article I'm aware (off the top of my head and with little searching) that tests Intellipower rotation speed using audio, which is why I linked it. Its completely possible that more current iterations of Intellipower use variable RPMs.
There are many current WD drives which use "IntelliPower" including WD Red.

Reactions: T_Minus

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
IntelliPower even on the newest iterations of Greens and Reds etc is still not actually variable RPM. I believe it's ~5900 RPM (at least on Reds) so when they say the RPM is "between 5400-7200" they are technically correct :rolleyes:

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
doesn't intellipower cause a lot of unnecessary head parking leading to reductions in drive life span?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have like 10 REDs we'll find out soon enough I guess, but from what I've read they seem to be lasting.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Reds seem OK with head parking, but with Greens you may want to use WDIDLE3 to set the drive timeout to the max value (600 seconds I think?)

Reactions: T_Minus

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
At the bottom of the NeweggFlash page ...

Return Policies
This item is covered by goHardDrive Return Policy.

I've never purchased from goHardDrive but hasn't there been some concerns over their offerings ?

Personally I'd rather wait until the Toshiba 2TB drives go on sale at Newegg for about $65

Reactions: coolrunnings82

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
My shipment of four arrived today. Packaging was just OK - drives were in anti static bags, wrapped in bubble wrap, inside individual bags, inside of a box with little wiggle room. The box was a little beat up, but held up OK. The individual drives could have used another layer of bubble wrap.

I've only fired one up so far. I'm running it through tests now. The WD warranty status shows as good through 9/3/2016 and a status of "Out of Region". The other links in the Warranty checker suggests that WD will honor the warranty for out of region end users.