Cheap 2011 narrow ILM air cooler

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
So your “Fan 4” is showing critical. Speed is 375rpm and the critical threshold is 450. That’s our Hitler!

While you’re at it you might want to lower your CPU temp upper thresholds. I’d want my fans spinning up a lot sooner than 95C.

Eds89

Feb 21, 2016
I see, so if any one fan falls below the threshold, it spins up all the fans?

What is the behaviour of I lower the thresholds of all fans as I have with the first two, and then temp of the CPU or PCH rises?
Will the fan RPN increase slightly or spin up to full speed?

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I see, so if any one fan falls below the threshold, it spins up all the fans?
Yes.
What is the behaviour of I lower the thresholds of all fans as I have with the first two, and then temp of the CPU or PCH rises?

Will the fan RPN increase slightly or spin up to full speed?
Fans don't change speed at all until any temperature or fan speed threshold is crossed. So the fans rise some once a non-critical value is crossed, then all go to 100% when a critical threshold is crossed. That's why I recommend you lower your CPU temp thresholds.

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
I have like 6 Supermicro 4U Active CPU Heat Sink Socket LGA2011 Square and Narrow ILMs (SNK-P0050AP4). No problem giving you one.

Where are you located?

Eds89

Feb 21, 2016
Thanks Joel, will tinker with the thresholds a bit more ;)

Godfr33, appreciate it man. I do have one now (Noctua one), which seems to be working well.
I'm UK based.

Eds89

Feb 21, 2016
Would it be a command along the lines of:
Code:
sensor thresh "CPU Temp" upper 60 80 95
Are those thresholds appropriate or would you lower them further still?
Assume again, that once the first threshold is breached, fans spin up slightly higher, then second threshold they ramp up more and then by the third they will be full RPM?

EDIT: Command ran ok, and after lowering my fan thresholds, the fans also stay at their lower RPM. Assuming thresholds seem good, I will leave as it is, otherwise I know how to quickly lower the thresholds further.

Last edited:

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
I authored a comparison of the Noctua NH-D9DX i4 and SuperMicro SNK-P0048AP4 (with Passive Heatsink as a control) on the FreeNAS forum, available here: CPU Cooling Comparison: Noctua NH-D9DX i4 / NH-D9L | SuperMicro SNK-P0048AP4 | Passive Heatsink

It isn't perfectly relevant here, but close as the Noctua is mentioned and a similar Supermicro, but furthermore my testing breaks out the three cooling options by fan mode.

I don't want to spoil my findings, but who doesn't like a nice graph:

If you don't care to read the full review, as a brief explanation of what you see below:
  • Zone 0 = CPU / System fans = FAN 1 (CPU1) + FAN2 (CPU2) + FAN5/6 (Rear Exhaust Fans)
  • Zone 1 = Peripheral fans = Backplane fans connected via splitter to FANA
  • Ambient temperature = 78F
  • Not strictly relevant to the below, but I run a script which captures the warmest HDD temperature every minute, and selects the fan mode which produces the least noise, while keeping that warmest HDD under 40C. Accordingly I evaluate performance with each fan mode in that post.
Result - Under Load, Full Speed.jpg

Reactions: dontwanna