Chassis that Supports 12 drives + 1 SSD for under $250?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Thank you again everyone for the wonderful responses. I truly appreciate you all.

After much self debate, going to stick with what I already purchased with the Fractal Design R4. It's enough storage for my needs! :c)

Last edited:

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
Where from ?. Amazon UK have them for around GBP 350 (my 743 at any rate).

In the US EBay and Amazon are listing from around US$400 and up.

Finding them for the prices you are mentioning may be worth me getting the folks to get a few and arrange to ship them to me.

RB
Will PM you now.

I buy directly from this company, see if they will ship.

Last edited:

michaeld

Oct 10, 2012
If you don't require hotswap got one of these (on sale for about $80) and while the build quality isn't the very best it's good enough. Rosewill RSV-L4500 Black Metal/ Steel, 1.0 mm thickness , 4U Rackmount Server Chassis, 15 Internal Bays, 8 Included Cooling Fans - Newegg.com
What concerns me about that case is that the cages in front are not removable. At least they don't appear to be. You must mount all those fiddly plastic slider rails to the HDs, then slide/click them in. That's all fine and good, but you cannot use standard 3/4/5-in-one HD hotswap cages if you wanted to. There are many cases just like this one that have one big "open cage" up front. Typically, the case comes with 8-10 pairs of metal 5.25" to 3.5" adapter brackets. They are a PITA too, but at least you can use standard hot swap cages with the case.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
The cages are just 5.25 things. They are held in with metal tabs on the top and bottom, push on them and they slide out the front. The fan grill is connected to the cage.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Um, no. Take out the silly front fans, add 3x 5in3 chassis and the 900 will support 15 drives If you use 2x 5in3s and 1x3in2 you can get a 2.5" 4in1 and support 13x 3.5" AND 4x 2.5" for SSDs. The chassis is essentially 9 5.25" bays. I've built this config in a 900 in the past. Its not hard.
I've done similar. I think mine is a Cooler Master Stacker 830 case with 11x 5.25" bays up front. I had 4x 3in2's for 12 hot swap, with one bay between each. Could easily have done significantly more with effort. Note that the 3in2's were about $70 each or so, so doing this setup for under $250 wouldn't work. But there are a number of 3in2's that are internal with a fan and not hot swap that I'd suspect could do pretty close.....