Chassis Help/Recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

animusnull

May 2, 2018
I had brought a SuperMicro SC815TQ-R500WB and a TYAN S7067

Between a PSU issue, and the various internal connector issues, front panel etc.. I'm looking at another chassis. I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of ordering a ton of special cables again. So am asking for recommendations.

I'm looking for hot swap minimum 4 bay with a backplane. PSU redundant preferably, 400W or over. EATX motherboard support. I have 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs right now, but am good with either 2.5 or 3.5 bays.

Additionally, I wanted to see is there a guide for using supermicro cases with standard motherboards.

Budget 300 or under
preferably.

Some more details the PSU is 20 pin to the motherboard and two 8 pin, while the board is 24 pin and two 8pin. I used an adapter for 20 -> 24 pin. But the board wouldn't post. I swapped in a spare 600W desktop psu, and posted with each cpu and ram stick I have individually testing both sockets.

Thanks in advance.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
For the front panel connector get this Supermicro 6-Inch 16Pin Front Control Split Cable (CBL-0084L) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VUJYTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.pG6AbJJ81Y7S.
This is to use supermicro cases with other motherboards. Should help with whatever SM case you end up.

I'm not sure about the 20pin connector. Per the supermicro website, this chassis is optimized for x9srw and x11ssw boards, both of which have 24pin connectors.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Look at the SM parts list I posted in the resources section. There are 16 & 20 pin front panel connector cables (split & non-split) and different lengths.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AFisher

Jun 2, 2017
I'm going to piggy back onto this thread because I have a similar question. I have been using a small ATX chassis with 9 Drive bays, I then used some 3x5 bay extenders to get up to 12 drives. while this was ok, it is crowded in there, and I'm sure I'm stressing some of the components inside!
So, I have been looking at 16 and 20 Bay Rack chassis\systems!

Norco - Norco has several in my range (both price and size) but the reviews are scarce and lack-luster (not all together bad, but not all together great)
Norco 4u 24 bay (RPC-4224)
Norco 4u 20 bay (RPC-4020)
Norco 3u 16 bay (RPC-3216)
iStarUSA - iStarUSA, I have some of there hot swap drive bay conversion trays, not too bad, but I feel they are a bit cheaply made!
iStarUSA M-280-MATX
iStarUSA M-3120-ATX
iStarUSA M-4160-ATX​
Then there is a few super Micro offerings, which is the way I am leaning, but they can be costly and I would rather have something that is as industry standard as possible (no need for extra\Special Cables
3u CS836
2u SC826
anyways, whats the thoughts on these models, have you used them, did you like them Why\why not?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Chenbro fan here :)

They are pretty well put together, decently engineered and at a price point that's easily comparable to any other half decent whitebox solution. If you find one used at a knock down price, even better!