Chassis for Supermicro H12SSL-NT that support NVMe backplain

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MrBios

Feb 21, 2022
Hi

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good 1u or 2u chassis that will support Supermicro H12SSL-NT where I can use the 2 x slimline SAS 8 for NVMe

Thanks in advance.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019

Faust

May 17, 2023

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I have a h12ssl, two left hands and so far no problems.

I have a nvme (u.2/u.3) Backplane for four nvme ssds in a 745 Chassis (4u though)

Reactions: StevenDTX

ano

Nov 7, 2022
we have 40-50ish h12, only issues with a dual port one that was off ebay used

Reactions: bitbckt

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
I have “several” H12SSL, and find calling them fragile… just bizarre.

It’s a motherboard, not your gran’s vintage china.

Reactions: StevenDTX and ano

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
what in particular is fragile? I was just thinking of getting one
These are three problematic components on this particular motherboard - U4, U5 and U6. They're DC-DC voltage regulators and found just off the BMC chip
problem.jpg

These are incredibly prone to breakage. If the BMC does not initialize properly - the board will not boot, rendering it useless. After using the board for a while I had recommended it to quite a few folks. Of these - two had problems with the board not booting after some PCIe component install and one had a problem with a H12SSL that they were installing from new-in-box . All these could be traced back to one of these components breaking off. Knowing this I then moved my H12SSL from a Norco chassis to a Supermicro chassis. I was extra careful with it but very recently, I had to install and flash a few NIC cards and at some point - the board stopped working. As you can see, there's damage to the U4 component. Keep in mind I was careful so that should tell you how delicate this component is. These will break even if you put what can be considered normal pressure with your fingers.

Like I mentioned earlier - read the thread linked to earlier: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/h12ssl-i-stuck-at-bmc-initiating.38043/ - where several folks have had the exact same issue. Supermicro has almost always repaired free of charge but you do have to send the motherboard back for repairs and you do have to pay for shipping to SM.

Maybe the components were from a bad batch - don't know but I've stopped using or recommending the H12SSL series.

Last edited:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I have “several” H12SSL, and find calling them fragile… just bizarre.

It’s a motherboard, not your gran’s vintage china.
It is your attitude that is bizzare. Without reading the linked threads you jump straight to ad hominem attacks and victim blaming? So just because you have 'several' and never had a problem, your response is to imply that everyone else is lying ?

straight to ignore list you go ...

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
Haha! Hardly. I've read and followed the thread. I use enough of those boards that it is relevant to my interests to do so. That said, in the dozens of these boards I've handled, I can't say I've once chipped the BMC VRMs. Must just be my luck. Or yours.

I'm unclear about what part of my response is "ad hominem attacks and victim blaming"... I said nothing about you or your experience with SM.

Cheers.

Last edited:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Were you able to get backplane management working with that combination? SMC support told me it was not a supported combination (the -N12 is the one you'd be expected to use for 2U LFF).
The backplane worked fine in the CSE-826 chassis (that I actually found with your help !) I will be replacing the H12SSL with a X11DPI-N but I don't remember anything not working in terms of the backplane - all the drives in the backplane showed up in the BIOS just fine. I was using both SAS and SATA drives - did not get to test my NVME drives sadly

ano

Nov 7, 2022
I have that specific backplane, with H12ssl-i, actually have about 24 of them

it even gives gen4 speed

Faust

May 17, 2023
These are three problematic components on this particular motherboard - U4, U5 and U6. They're DC-DC voltage regulators and found just off the BMC chip

View attachment 29080

These are incredibly prone to breakage. If the BMC does not initialize properly - the board will not boot, rendering it useless. After using the board for a while I had recommended it to quite a few folks. Of these - two had problems with the board not booting after some PCIe component install and one had a problem with a H12SSL that they were installing from new-in-box . All these could be traced back to one of these components breaking off. Knowing this I then moved my H12SSL from a Norco chassis to a Supermicro chassis. I was extra careful with it but very recently, I had to install and flash a few NIC cards and at some point - the board stopped working. As you can see, there's damage to the U4 component. Keep in mind I was careful so that should tell you how delicate this component is. These will break even if you put what can be considered normal pressure with your fingers.

Like I mentioned earlier - read the thread linked to earlier: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/h12ssl-i-stuck-at-bmc-initiating.38043/ - where several folks have had the exact same issue. Supermicro has almost always repaired free of charge but you do have to send the motherboard back for repairs and you do have to pay for shipping to SM.

Maybe the components were from a bad batch - don't know but I've stopped using or recommending the H12SSL series.

That's very interesting. anyone able to pull a model number off the u4-u6 chips? if it's something available at digikey, arrow, mouser, octopart etc I wouldn't be afraid to replace them. anyone have any out of warranty dead boards they want to sell me?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
That's very interesting. anyone able to pull a model number off the u4-u6 chips? if it's something available at digikey, arrow, mouser, octopart etc I wouldn't be afraid to replace them. anyone have any out of warranty dead boards they want to sell me?

These things cost < $2 each. Folks on the thread mentioned that if the ICs break and there's 3.3V flowing to the BMC chip or to the BMC memory - these operate at 1.8V and 1.2V and they can get damaged, so not just a question of replacing the U4-U6 ICs. FYI - when I got my motherboard back after the repair, it was a new motherboard

It's kinda sad, as with the Supermicro chassis, the SM PSU and the PMBus connectors etc, having the H12SSL in the chassis really was like having a Dell poweredge server (ie the motherboard can monitor PSU load etc)

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
I have that specific backplane, with H12ssl-i, actually have about 24 of them

it even gives gen4 speed
I have the same question for you - does the management functionality (namely the fail/locate/safe-to-remove LEDs) work? That's usually the hard part.