Chassis for high power build ideally with SAS2..

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ynari

Sep 21, 2016
I'm going to build a system with two E5 2690 processors (already bought) and an Alrock EPC602. I was hoping for it to be quiet, PMBus power supply, with an SAS2 backplane (drives are currently SATA2/3, but extra bandwidth and drives are always welcome). Struggling with a chassis as I have two power hungry GPUs for hardware passthrough

I think quiet, high power, and PMBus are not compatible? Unfortunately I need a 1200W PSU if everything is running at maximum. I note the Supermicro 920W PSU is quiet, but that's too low, so I'm suspecting I'm better buying a high end ATX PSU, SSI EEB compatible tower case (server/enthusiast that supports an ATX PSU), and one of the direct SAS2 enclosures to stick in there.

any advice?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I don't know how many hot swap hdd bays you need, if 8 are enough check the the Supermicro 74X chassis. They have power suppplies up to 1620 watt and there are some "super quiet" versions.

ynari

Sep 21, 2016
Eight would be ok - I have four drives and two SSDs at the moment. You're right, there are a couple of 74X chassis. Unfortunately they end up pricing at 700-800GBP. I could live with 500-600 pounds, but more than that is becoming ludicrous and outside the amount I'd like to spend.

All the reasonably priced cases are in the US, and import duty kills the idea of sourcing from there.

ynari

Sep 21, 2016
I haven't bought the motherboard yet, but I think I will. I was wavering over the Supermicro boards, but I want a board with IPMI, I like the full length slots on the Asrock, and I'm not happy with the limitations of the Intel boards, or want to go Asus..

Thank you for the recommendation of 3D System Sales - I'll sign up to their list!