Changing PSID is unsupported under Secure FW.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

larryl79

Mar 26, 2024
thanks again for your help. Please let me know if my summary below matches what you did to burn a mellanox nic with secure_fw to a different psid:
1. You needed to use the MTUSB-1 device with a connection directly to the nic to issue commands via the I2C protocol/interface. Can you describe exactly how you made this connection? ex. did your nic have just the 3 holes? if so, how did you physically connect the MTUSB-1 device? Do you have any pics of the MTUSB-1 device with the cable and how it connects to the nic?

2. Once connected, you were able to use normal flint commands to burn the nic with an image with a different psid. Do you recall the parameters? ex. did you pass the allow_psid_change parameter? or was it something else that allowed the new image file to be burned?

3. rebooted and .....magic! a 100G nic is turned into a functioning 200G nic. I have some sw that can test to make sure that it is actually performing at 200Gbps rates and 400Gbps bidirectionally.

I have been able to do the above directly using just flint from either linux or vmware without the need for MTUSB-1 or I2C. The difference is that the nics that I have been able to do this with were the cx-5 without any secure_fw. the cx6 and cx6-dx seem to be enabled with secure_fw.

Thanks for your help! if I am able to get this working, I may be able to return the favor and send a matching 200G nic so that you can have the matching pair!

this worked for me:

flint -d /dev/mst/mt4099_pciconf0 -i image.bin -allow_psid_change burn