Change PERH H700 Adapter to H700 Integrated

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SubnetMask

Aug 27, 2020
I have a PERC H700 Adapter that I want to change to an Integrated card so that it can live in the storage slot of an R710. I first went through the steps posted here (I read the SBR and SPD out of a true Integrated card), and when that didn't pan out (although it may have worked exactly the same but reverted on reboot just like with reading the SBR, modifying it and writing the modified one back), I did some more searching and found a video by TheArtofServer about doing this with an H200. I determined the ID of the integrated (1f17) vs Adapter (1f16), and also found a writeup on Reddit made from ArtofServers video here. Went through that and aside from a bonehead moment where I missed the 'make' command, I got it all squared away and in the end, running 'lspci -Dmmnn | grep LSI' gave me the expected result: 'PERC H700 Integrated [1f17]". But after I rebooted, it reverted back to "~Adapter [1f16]". I'm also getting 'IOC failed to become ready' now when I try to run 'lsirec 0000:04:00.0 reset'.

Is there something I'm missing? Any ideas why it's reverting?

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@SubnetMask That is probably because you still have the "Adapter" version of the firmware running. When the firmware boots up, it checks the SBR and is probably running the SBR recovery routine which changes the SBR back. You need to flash the "Integrated" version of the H700 firmware, then change the SBR, and then reboot. If you're using the lsirec tool, be cautious of activating the firmware (pci rescan) or the same thing will happen.

that's my guess... not that I've actually done that sort of thing...

SubnetMask

Aug 27, 2020
I don't think it's that unless it somehow reverted the firmware to the 'Adapter' version... I can go back and try again, but I had specifically downloaded the 'SAS-RAID_Firmware_9FVJ2_WN64_12.10.7-0001_A13' firmware and extracted the FW4651I.rom file, which I placed on the FreeDOS boot media along with the LSI tools to go through the steps in the first link I posted.