Certificate warning in ESXI 6.5

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Citadel

Apr 8, 2017
Hi all,

First post here and I start with a problem :)

I have a fresh install of VMWare ESXi 6.5 on a custom white box, the install completes fine and I can configure the management network on the box itself to include the needed nics.

When I log in to the web client for the server I am seeing the following warning message;

The certificate assigned to this host is not valid yet. You should install a valid certificate.

I have confirmed the date/time is correct, and have regenerated the SSL certificates for ESXi, but still see the warning. I have updated to the latest patch as well.

I have another server with the same version of ESXi installed and I'm not seeing the warning there, an I'm a little stuck as to what to try next.

Has anyone else seen this before? and if you have what did you do to correct the issue?

Cheers

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Those are self-signed certificates. Your browser does not recognize them. That does not mean they are invalid and you arent doing anything wrong.

Your best bet is to install your own certificate.

Citadel

Apr 8, 2017
Those are self-signed certificates. Your browser does not recognize them. That does not mean they are invalid and you arent doing anything wrong.

Your best bet is to install your own certificate.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. This is not the browser warning but from inside the web client itself.

Cheers

Attachments

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Wierd Situation. The USB drive esxi was installed on as well as the SSD used for a data store were previously used on another system. I wanted to clean up the old folders and files on the datastore. I booted off a live CD, removed all partitions on the SSD and when I booted back into esxi, the error message was gone.

Citadel

Apr 8, 2017
Hi,

Yea, took a while but managed to get something fixed. I had to set an NTP server, delete all of the certificates that were being used, reboot create the new certificates and reboot a couple of times again.

Did you find a solution. Ran into this today.