Ceph very slow writes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

skunky

Apr 25, 2017
Did you manage to solve your slow write issue? We're facing similar performance probs and looking for possible solution.
Hi,
For the moment I've moved journaling to sandisk and performance improved a lot. I will I install in two weeks time intel s3710 and samsung sm863 as journals lsi2008, and 10gb for public and cluster network. I'll keep you posted about the obtained results.

Reactions: NISMO1968

skunky

Apr 25, 2017
Hi,
Sorry for my late response...
So after installing Samsung sm863 & Intel DCs3500, among with LSI2008 hba & 10gb networks for public / cluster network i had up to 12.000 iops from rbd images and even some 30.ooo iops spikes when a vm went mad for some reason ( it's good to limit vm iops on the hypervisor )
So thank you all for your help, it really helped me out in this situation !

skunky

Apr 25, 2017
Hi,
Comming back with some bad news.
After a not easy but succesfull considered ceph implementation, in which this forum helped very much - thank for all of you answers guys - ive just crashed from those 12.000 iops down to ~3000 and this time it seems i've got stucked here....
How did i achieved that:
- upgraded to luminous
- installed 1x Dell c6100 chassis into the rack ( 4 nodes with: 48GB ram, 24 cores, 1x120 gb ssd for os, 1xIntel s3610 for leveldb/wal, 1x 1tb Sandisk ssd for ssd cache tier pool, 3x5tb spinnning for sata pool, 1x520 dp sfp+ card, 1xlsi 2008 it mode hba. - this config for each node
- installed one Dell 8024f 24p sfp+ switch
- all "A" ports of each node in vlan 6 for public network
- all "B" ports of each node in vlan 60 for cluster network - haven't configured jumbo frames yet

Installed minimal Centos7, and configured sysctl.conf as per ceph recomandation:
tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph/wiki/Tuning_for_All_Flash_Deployments

The only things left to do was to enable jemalloc on os and jumbo frames on cluster network.

So basically, i've added the new nodes to the cluster (with luminous ), balanced objects, removed the hp nodes, rebalance again. Hp nodes where installed with proxmox 5 to provide compute with storage on the new ceph nodes.
Now i'm just getting those 500-3000 iops :( . From proxmox vms 500 and from external rbd image map and fio test up to 3000 sometimes 4000. Worst 3-4 times than before, even the hw seems more performant.
All the osds are bluestores now. The 5tb spinning disks are seagate 5tb 2.5 smr drives - i know the smr drives are not recomended, but they workes pretty much ok with jewel/filestore.
I assume netwoking is fine, i can confirm 10gbs between any node involved. Tested with iperf.
All pools configuration are like before..
What do you think, what could be the issue ?
Pulling my hair off again...

Last edited:

skunky

Apr 25, 2017
Hi,
After a not easy but succesfull considered ceph implementation, in which this forum helped very much - thank for all of you answers guys - ive just crashed from those 12.000 iops down to ~3000 and this time it seems i've got stucked here....
How did i achieved that:
- upgraded to luminous
- installed 1x Dell c6100 chassis into the rack ( 4 nodes with: 48GB ram, 24 cores, 1x120 gb ssd for os, 1xIntel s3610 for leveldb/wal, 1x 1tb Sandisk ssd for ssd cache tier pool, 3x5tb spinnning for sata pool, 1x520 dp sfp+ card, 1xlsi 2008 it mode hba. - this config for each node
- all "B" ports of each node in vlan 60 for cluster network - haven't configured jumbo frames yet

Installed minimal Centos7, and configured sysctl.conf as per ceph recomandation:

The only things left to do was to enable jemalloc on os and jumbo frames on cluster network.

So basically, i've added the new nodes to the cluster (with luminous ), balanced objects, removed the hp nodes, rebalance again. Hp nodes where installed with proxmox 5 to provide compute with storage on the new ceph nodes.
Now i'm just getting those 500-3000 iops :( . From proxmox vms 500 and from external rbd image map and fio test up to 3000 sometimes 4000. Worst 3-4 times than before, even the hw seems more performant.
All the osds are bluestores now. The 5tb spinning disks are seagate 5tb 2.5 smr drives - i know the smr drives are not recomended, but they workes pretty much ok with jewel/filestore.
I assume netwoking is fine, i can confirm 10gbs between any node involved. Tested with iperf.

skunky

Apr 25, 2017
Hi guys, any thoughts on these ?
Do you think that filestore was more suitable for those sata spinning smr drives ?

avladulescu

Mar 25, 2019
Hi,

I found myself (trapped) in a similar situation after upgrading to latest ceph version 12.x (luminous) branch and migrated all osd to bluestore.

Have you ever managed to find a proper solution to the IOPS difference you were facing before/after this upgrade?

Regards,
Alex

Hi,
How did i achieved that:
- upgraded to luminous