CentOS 7 released

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Just noticed that CentOS 7 was released today. I'm waiting a few weeks before updating since they are working on an upgrade path from 6.5 -> 7 without having to reinstall from scratch. That would be awesome.

Anyone try it out yet? ;)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Oooou
I may have to stick that on a box in the morning. Thanks for the headsup. Downloading now.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
XFS getting the nod. Hmm. I wonder if that changes folding speeds or the Linux bench script performance.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I don't think that would change folding or bench speeds much, I don't think any of the tests in bench are disk bound so filesystem shouldn't play a factor. More interested if the 3.10 kernel has any updates that would make things faster/better.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
There was a difference from ext3 to ext4 I think. Was due to log writing/ file writing.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
well... I installed it on two machines last night but haven't messed with them much yet. I will keep yall posted. Overall very easy install.
I also might do a little free advertising for Zalman ... I love my VE400, not incredibly durable :/ but having an external SSD full of ISO's that gives you a virtual optical drive is the best non-pxe approach.

Edit: EPEL repos have not been updated since GA... I am having trouble getting them to work.

Last edited:

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I guess with all this peer pressure I'll have to fire up a few instances to see what breaks as well. The EPEL repos are holding me back a bit since I depend on them for a few tools. At least I've finished mirroring the tree so quick installs.