CentOS 7 fails to boot after storage removing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mikexrv

Feb 28, 2020
I try remove HDD storage form desktop machine with CentOS 7.6 installed. Before removing the HDD from the chassis I unmounted disk and edited fstab. After restart the system hanging with balckscreen and hypen blinking on the left-top corner. After reconnecting the HDD, everything works fine and system boot correctly.
What could be the reason?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Probably you have the boot sector on the drive that you removed. You will need to add it in on the drive that remains in the computer.

mikexrv

Feb 28, 2020
Probably you have the boot sector on the drive that you removed. You will need to add it in on the drive that remains in the computer.
Thank you for suggestion. I verified boot options and there are only three options to choose and any off them is not my system disk. I have to verify bios settings deeply.

Shenko

Mar 18, 2020
It's possible that the fstab is incorrect, boot from a live cd drop to root and mount your root partition and then edit the fstab, comment out your last entry and then boot again from your normal boot drive.