Celestica Redstone D2060 - No OS, just goes into UEFI?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
Hello everyone,
I bought a used Celestica Redstone D2060 switch for cheap, but when connecting with a console cable, all I get is the uefi settings. I can get it to boot from a thumb drive, but it doesnt seem to have any ONIE on it or anything so I don't even know what OS I could install.

Does anyone have experience with these switches? I can't find documentation anywhere. I might try to return it but not sure if I can. I thought they came with some basic OS on them but I guess not.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
So installing a mSATA drive would allow OS installation? The only problem then is that I don't think it has ONIE so I would have to find something else out to use.

I started to open the switch up, but two of the screws are stripped, so going to drill those out.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Yes. You download the ONIE source and build it specifically for the D2060. It's straightforward and the ONIE website has instructions.

Your bigger problem is what network OS to use. Looks like Open Network Linux supports it. You may be able to try other OSes like OpenSwitch. Celesticas are typically a reference design that vendors like Dell use with minimal changes.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
So indeed it is missing the mSATA storage drive, just opened it up. I ordered one and am going to put it in.

Where are the instructions for building ONIE? I looked around on the website and can't really find anything. All there was was instructions for installing a NOS.

Or can I install a different OS on it like Debian or a BSD?

Last edited:

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
I still have absolutely no clue how to do that.

I was able to load FreeBSD on it, but it doesn't have drivers for the chipset, and I tried installing Debian but I can't get it to work because it won't go into serial mode.

Are there any other options besides ONIE? I was going to try OpenVswitch but I don't even know how I would go about building that since I have no internet connection on the switch.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
ONIE is meant for generic switches where you can install different network operating systems. That is the foundation you need to work with unless you want to go bare metal. But since you're having difficulty even building ONIE, I suggest you try another switch, one that already has an OS installed. Make sure to ask the seller if there is a usable OS next time.

Why would you want to run Open vSwitch? It's for a virtualized environment, not bare metal. All the software meant to work on these types of switches would not be built on the device but on some sort of Linux machine with a more CPU power.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
Yeah I know you build ONIE in a docker container on a Debian PC, but I am lost after that on how you actually go about installing it on the switch, since it basically uses ONIE to install it.

I might end up selling the switch or something, and then either pick up a HP, Brocade, or Juniper one, just none have the ports this one has for the price, and I am only going to be running a handful of 10gbe/40gbe stuff anyways.

I would like to just use straight up FreeBSD or Debian on it, but it doesn't have the drivers necessary. I thought OpenVswitch might work because it said it would support Marvell/Broadcom hardware.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
There are two ways to build ONIE: one is to use docker; the other just uses the OS, which was what I did. I copied/downloaded the source into the OS and built it. Among the files that are produced is an ISO image which you would write to a USB drive. The drive is then used to boot on the switch to install ONIE.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
So currently I'm trying to compile it, but it won't output an image. Did it on a fresh Debian install in a VM, followed the instructions, and it goes through but won't output an image.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
So i did "make -j4 MACHINEROOT=.../machine/celestica MACHINE=cel_redstone_xp all demo"

It finally made a .bin file, but it is supposed to make an iso too. Going to try outputting it to a log to see if I can find where the error is.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
There was no .bin file on the release I compiled. Everything should be in build/images.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
So it outputted three files, a .initrd, a .vmlinz, and onie-updater-x86_64-cel_redstone_xp-r0.

It ended on an error "unable to find mkdosfs binary".

Is that last file the image?

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
Not sure how it ended up working, but finally got a recovery image going and loaded it on the switch. Going to try loading ONL or something like that.

Thanks for your help!

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
Hate to necro this thread, but I have absolutely no clue what NOS to even use on this switch, nothing really supports it. Does anyone have any ideas what might work on it? Just want to get it going for basic switching with vlans/LACP, and maybe eventually FCoE.

I tried SoNIC but it doesn't directly support the Redstone XP, only similar Dell switches based on it. That doesn't seem to work. I can't figure out ONL really so I don't know what to do with it. Also, does anyone know if OFDPA would work or could possibly explain it?

Openswitch also supports the chipset but won't even install (Doesn't directly support Redstone XP switches), so not sure what to try.

Last edited: