Celestica D4040 32 Port QSFP 40GbE Switch $165

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dfanz0r

Apr 28, 2020

Just ordered one of these myself, hoping it comes installed with an OS atleast. I am hopeful considering it is talking about doing a password reset. I offered $130 and they accepted. $180 after tax and shipping to texas.

Maybe we can revive interest in this switch now that it is so cheap :) I would love to get more OS options.

Previous thread on this switch:

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
Was anyone ever successful in reducing the fan speed or quieting these? I see someone on the other thread asking about it but never got a response.

Reactions: Samir and n17ikh

groove

Sep 21, 2011
Isn't this the switch that has an Intel Atom CPU C2538 that's plagued by the C2000 bug? I remember coming across this when I was considering getting one a few months ago. Finally went with a MSX6036 and licensed that to ETH mode - much safer and lower power usage. I know it's a little more expensive and no CL support - but a good way jump in 40 / 56 GBE bandwagon.

dfanz0r

Apr 28, 2020
Isn't this the switch that has an Intel Atom CPU C2538 that's plagued by the C2000 bug? I remember coming across this when I was considering getting one a few months ago. Finally went with a MSX6036 and licensed that to ETH mode - much safer and lower power usage. I know it's a little more expensive and no CL support - but a good way jump in 40 / 56 GBE bandwagon.
Yeah the previous thread i found about is discusses that quite a bit as well as a short term fix that can prolong the life a bit.

Reactions: Samir

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Yeah the previous thread i found about is discusses that quite a bit as well as a short term fix that can prolong the life a bit.
Heh. The same thread also talked about the possibility of swapping out the management board (with the Atom C2538) with something faster. Not sure what happened to that one.

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
For the curious, this post has more information about doing the resistor mod for the c2000 platform fix.
Seconding the request for fan speed control information. If there's no working fan control these things will use 135W just moving air around and making noise, not counting the fans in the PSUs, which is pretty incredible.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Once mine comes in i'll let everyone know what OS comes on it and whatnot. Current estimate is Wednesday
be prepared to do the resistor mod ASAP before you have a dead switch. The sooner you do it the longer life you'll get out of the thing, I have two dead ones behind me that even with aggressive pullup resistor values were still too far gone. I would not recommend spending any money on these things, especially with the fact they come with cumulus that you can't get updates for, but to each their own

dfanz0r

Apr 28, 2020
Yeah i'll be doing the mod shortly after getting mine. After confirming that it powers on first.

dfanz0r

Apr 28, 2020
Also @fohdeesha i saw you had mentioned in previous threads that you were looking at potentially porting other switch os's to this switch. I guess it's safe to assume the reason you haven't is because they've died on you...

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Also @fohdeesha i saw you had mentioned in previous threads that you were looking at potentially porting other switch os's to this switch. I guess it's safe to assume the reason you haven't is because they've died on you...

yeah after I realized how unreliable the management plane is I completely lost interest

groove

Sep 21, 2011
I lost interest when these were first discussed and I then had a C2000 motherboard that died on me. Not a good situation to be in.

dfanz0r

Apr 28, 2020
Ok so this one was manufactured in 2016/02 and does indeed ship with no os on it, bit of a bummer. I'm gonna try to get sonic installed on it.