Celestica D4040 32 Port QSFP 40GbE Switch $165

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dfanz0r

Apr 28, 2020
Code:
[root@localhost ~]# lscpu
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):             1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 77
Model name:            Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  C2538  @ 2.40GHz
Stepping:              8
CPU MHz:               1200.000
CPU max MHz:           2400.0000
CPU min MHz:           1200.0000
BogoMIPS:              4800.19
Virtualization:        VT-x
L1d cache:             24K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              1024K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
Flags:                 fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch epb ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms dtherm arat md_clear spec_ctrl intel_stibp
And i confirmed that this is a B0 stepping, just wanted to verify that before actually doing the resistor mod. Also looks like on my machine the msata ssd and the cmos battery have been removed. Will have to dig around and find an old msata ssd i have somewhere.

dfanz0r

Apr 28, 2020
So this motherboard is slightly different than the one that was shown in one of the older threads:

The items that were being soldered to previously for the 3.3v source have now been moved to the back of the board. Then the R562 pad is no longer on the board. only the via at that location.

@fohdeesha Can anyone confirm if there is a better fix for this newer revision board, or does the same fix work if one attempted to solder to the via on the back side of the board?

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
The new board revision could have meant a newer chip without the bug. But no such luck - it comes with SR1S9 which is still the vulnerable B0 stepping.

dfanz0r

Apr 28, 2020
The new board revision could have meant a newer chip without the bug. But no such luck - it comes with SR1S9 which is still the vulnerable B0 stepping.
Yeah I was hoping for that as well, but it would need to be manufactured after like February 2017 for it to have a c0 stepping chip.

dfanz0r

Apr 28, 2020
If anyone has managed to get breakout cables working on this under sonic you would be my hero :)

dfanz0r

Apr 28, 2020
I ended up finding a good deal on the Penguin Arctica 3200XLP variant of this switch that had a licensed cumulus 3.6 on it ($150 free shipping) And have been playing with that the last few days, I'll be attempting the resistor mod on this one as the motherboard looks like the other ones in the other thread more.

I know these things have a likelihood of dying down the line but the $330 spent on these two are still way cheaper than pretty much all of the other switches of this capability so I'm fine with that for the moment. I think using the Cumulus switch as a reference for the bcm config and some other stuff would be helpful to get sonic working fully on the other switch as well, or when this one dies i could attempt to move the ssd over to the other one :p

dfanz0r

Apr 28, 2020
Also for those curious there is another listing up, this one appears to have a MFG date after the new stepping's were released(feb 2017)

So this may be a very good deal for someone like @fohdeesha who would like to port other os's to these switches. This one appears to be R22 where as mine is R21 So there is a hardware change, hopefully that is swapping to the newer CPU stepping.

Reactions: fohdeesha

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I just saw another listing for Smallstone XPs on eBay today. It's unusual that it's priced at US$1200. The revision is interesting: 19RLPC, manufactured on 2016-09-25, SN D4040B2F196925AP000035.

The others I've seen only has numbers for revision. Maybe this suffix indicates an LPC fix and Intel informed their more valuable partners like Celestica before the tech note was published. I originally got a Rev 19. SN and manufacture date is several months before this specimen.

I snagged the one posted by @dfanz0r and it is a Rev 22 and has the same Atom and stepping as Rev 19's. It had no mSATA drive and battery and I got a discount because of that. The revision appear to be bounded between "D4040B2F" and "AP" with the final number indicate number built.

Reactions: fohdeesha