CD burner recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yankiisboy

Dec 18, 2018
Got a new card with better Audio system. But the old CDs are scratched or broken. Need to pull back the music from NAS and burn them to CD, which one is best for this?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
For audio CD writing (not ripping) basically any burner is good enough, it is an End-Of-Life technology. The way forward would be to convert everything to FLAC and serve that over the network to a player with good quality DAC, though. If you intend to use it for UHD as well, choose an UHD-friendly drive from this list:

ASUS BW-16D1HT
ASUS BC-12D2HT
LG WH14NS40
LG WH16NS40
LG BH16NS55
LG BH16NS50
LG BH16NS40
LG BH14NS58
LG BH14NS50

Reactions: i386 and yankiisboy

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I have always been a fan of Asus writers, not the cheapest writers out there, but they are predictably reliable in my experience :)

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Pioneer DVD and BR units have all worked fine for me.

The one Samsung I had a while ago was problematic and died an early death.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
does it come with burning software?
The retail versions used to come with a "light" version of Nero, dunno about now, I haven't bought a writer for a long time. Nero was great to begin with, until it turned into the bloated, "wants to do everything for you, including being your friend", piece of craptastic software it is today. I just use freeware writing tools now, like ImgBurn, K3B etc

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The room fell silent...

I don't do Mac, but seem to remember an acquaintance using Aurora and Express Burn at some point in history. Maybe they are still around?
I thought that the finder app that's built in was capable of burning files etc?