Cashback on eBay purchases (besides eBay bucks)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Just figured I'd throw some of my methods out there. Feedback and other tips/tricks are always welcome.

1) Cashback affliates. Click through to get to eBay through a cashback site. 1-1.1% back.
Note that using eBay coupon codes seems to invalidate the cashback.

2) Paypal gift cards. Some drugstores sell Paypal MyCash cards that you can buy with a credit card. I would buy $500 denominations with a $4.95 fee using a credit card that offered 5% cash back at drugstores. Amex wasn't happy with me charging 10k+ a month at drugstores. o_O

3) eBay gift cards - eBay Gift Cards: Frequently asked questions
Buy gift cards at locations that you have category bonuses on. I have a Chase Ink business card that gives me 5% back at office supply stores (Staples). Lowes/Home Depot are in the `home improvement` category. 7-11 is coded as a gas purchase in most locations. There are a plethora of supermarkets/grocers. See the link for other retailers.
Note, I believe there is a limit of 10 eBay coupons per order, although you can sort of consolidate the $50 gift cards by purchasing the $100 email delivery ones.

Personally I snag up all the eBay gift cards at Staples whenever I can, as I value Chase Ultimate Reward points at ~2c/point, so 5% back at Staples is effectively 10% back in my eyes.

Reactions: T_Minus

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Way too much work.

Step 1: Come here to find what I want to buy. Saves 60-70% off of retail many times.
Step 2: ebay bucks
Step 3: Pay with PP and cash back credit card

Not the biggest savings but I do nothing and pay little for what I'm getting. To me having to go buy gift cards, and then remember them on a regular basis would be too much hassle to save a few more dollars. I do enjoy that people try but easier to spend time elsewhere.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The CC % back @ office supply stores for PP Gift card, never thought or new you could even get PP gift cards or that % back works on gift-card purchases. I do enjoy the % off my verizon bill AMEX offers though :D

We do something similar for Pet Food.

We use the Online "Gift Card Exchanges" to buy them for 10-20% off retail, then wait for them to go on sale and get 40% off or so on our dog food :) But it's all online, point click, pay, re-use gift card, and done.